Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire/wheel setup on P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 weeks ago I took delivery of a P85D. To my surprise the tire setup was 245/35-21 all around, with Conti contactSport5.
I now have the option to change the setup to 265 (9") at the back and to Michelin PS2 tires.

Should I stick to my current setup or take the deal from Tesla and change to the "right" setup?

When you say "right" setup, does this mean Tesla acknowledged the error and made it "right" or did you raise a big fuss to get it corrected? When I test drove the P85 (before ordering) I did check the tires and the cars were staggered, so I as a customer would be very surprised to not have the 265s on my newly ordered car. I ended up ordering a 85D BTW.

I noticed the setup right away when I picked up the car. I told the DS about it, and he said it was no problem to swap to the staggered setup. They didnt have the 9" and Michelin in stock, so I have now driven about 1200 miles on the current Conti-setup. Not a bad tire, but want to swap mainly becasue it looks better on the car.
Had also a bad experience previously with Conti tires. Had to be replaced after 10.000 miles, and the noice level was horrible (235/40-18 on a VW Passat)

The Michelins will be able to put the power down better in corners due to their wider contact patch. I'd go for the PS2s in a heartbeat. The CSC5 is a good tire, but the narrower rear wheels (The PS2s come with 0.5" wider rear wheels) and tires aren't optimal for a car this powerful.

The Michelins will be able to put the power down better in corners due to their wider contact patch. I'd go for the PS2s in a heartbeat. The CSC5 is a good tire, but the narrower rear wheels (The PS2s come with 0.5" wider rear wheels) and tires aren't optimal for a car this powerful.

Also the tread width of the Conti's in the same size (245) is almost an inch narrower than the PS2's, according to Tire Rack.

I have a P85D with the 245 Continentals all around. The car understeers moderately when pushed in a corner. Simply putting on wider rear tires will not improve cornering. Putting on stickier tires would help, as would improving the front camber. The tire compound is more important in this case than the rear width.

My experience with this comes from my Lotus Elise street/track car, which has a significant difference in front/rear tires.

I have a P85D with the 245 Continentals all around. The car understeers moderately when pushed in a corner. Simply putting on wider rear tires will not improve cornering. Putting on stickier tires would help, as would improving the front camber. The tire compound is more important in this case than the rear width.

My experience with this comes from my Lotus Elise street/track car, which has a significant difference in front/rear tires.

I just picked up a P85D. I love the car, but am faced with the Conti vs. Michelin-Staggard dilemma. I have always drove a performance car with staggered wheels. I was surprised to see the non staggered set up on my 125K car. Is there any benifit to the Conti's? My DS, says the change was made for many reasons. The only one he could tell me is that it is quieter Ride, which is not important to me. I have coils, because I wanted a stiffer ride. My last car was a 911S. I need to decide if I should demand the changing of the tire's and rear wheels.

I just picked up a P85D. I love the car, but am faced with the Conti vs. Michelin-Staggard dilemma. I have always drove a performance car with staggered wheels. I was surprised to see the non staggered set up on my 125K car. Is there any benifit to the Conti's? My DS, says the change was made for many reasons. The only one he could tell me is that it is quieter Ride, which is not important to me. I have coils, because I wanted a stiffer ride. My last car was a 911S. I need to decide if I should demand the changing of the tire's and rear wheels.

Same here - my daily drivers are usually 911s or BMW M cars and I have a bias for handling/grip over less tire wear and less road noise. I just ordered my car and was told I couldn't get the staggered setup, so I ordered it with 19s and my DS has arranged for me to order the staggered wheels from my local service center and they will be put on before delivery. I'll then sell the 19s. This works out to be about $700 more than if Tesla would sell me the staggered setup directly but it's worth it to me.

If you test drove a P85D with the staggered setup, then I think you'd be well within your rights to demand they swap them out. In my eyes the 245 square setup with Contis is a downgrade and not what you paid for.

I have a bias for handling/grip . . . I couldn't get the staggered setup, . . . order the staggered wheels from my local service center . . . $700 more . . . but it's worth it to me.

Are you swamping for the tires or the wheels, and if the wheels, what is the evidence that the wheels (staggered or 21" provide superior handling/grip?

Are you swamping for the tires or the wheels, and if the wheels, what is the evidence that the wheels (staggered or 21" provide superior handling/grip?

I'm swapping both tires and wheels. I'm going on a few things. The opinion of other owners who have posted their experiences (see the posts by Dennis on his experiences starting with the square setup and replacing it with the staggered setup). And my personal experiences with Continental tires over the years (not great and certainly not as good as I've had with Michelins). The Michelin PS2s are not only a stickier tire than the Contis but with the staggered setup there's probably at least 4 more inches of rubber on the pavement. Just on size the rears give you about 2" more rubber, and the front 245 Contis are about 1" narrower than the 245 PS2s each side. Add that to the fact that I think a 245 21" rear tire on a car this size just doesn't look very good, and it's a no brainer for me.