Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellowstone and Teton NPs Getting Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apr 27

This press release was distrubited on Friday and was already front page news in the Jackson Hole News and Guide today.

GRAND TETON NATIONAL PARK NEWS RELEASE
National Park Service
U.S. Department of the Interior
Grand Teton National Park
PO Box 170
Moose, Wyoming 83012
Jackie Skaggs/ 307.739.3393
Andrew White/ 307.739.3431

MOOSE, WY — Through a Clean Cities National Parks Initiative, Yellowstone-Teton Clean Energy Coalition (YTCEC) recently partnered with both Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks to secure over $200K in funding to add a plug-in hybrid electric car to their vehicle fleets and install six public electric vehicle charging stations. Thanks to YTCEC’s efforts, Grand Teton and Yellowstone will reduce greenhouse gas emissions and minimize their petroleum use by operating these alternative fuel vehicles. Visitors driving through the parks in a plug-in electric car will now have the ability to charge their vehicle at several locations.

The Clean Cities National Parks Initiative will demonstrate the viability of using electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids within the Greater Yellowstone Area, and establish a hub for the region’s electric vehicle infrastructure network. The initiative’s next phase will be to encourage gateway communities to install charging stations. Jackson, Wyoming has taken the lead with four charging stations recently installed.

As the regional designee of the Department of Energy’s Clean Cities program, YTCEC worked with both national parks to identify and submit a request for funding. Executive Director Alicia Cox stated, “This project serves as a testament to the benefits of the Clean Cities National Parks Initiative and our Coalition’s capacity to establish partnerships and the support necessary to encourage use of alternative fuel vehicles across the Greater Yellowstone region.”

“Across the country, our national parks are making more sustainable transportation options available to their staff and visitors alike,” added Cox. “This project provides the foundation necessary to create a region-wide electric vehicle charging infrastructure within the Greater Yellowstone area, allowing for longer trips through the region in an electric vehicle or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle.”

The Coalition coordinates the Greater Yellowstone Electric Vehicle Working Group to help facilitate a cohesive introduction of charging stations into the region. Find out more about the Clean Cities National Parks Initiative at www.cleancities.energy.gov/national_parks or go to www.ytcleanenergy.org for more regional electric vehicle information.
—XXX—

About the National Park Service: More than 20,000 National Park Service employees care for America's 407 national parks and work with communities across the nation to help preserve local history and create close-to-home recreational opportunities. Visit the NPS at [url]www.nps.gov[/URL], on Facebook [url]www.facebook.com/nationalparkservice[/URL],
via Twitter
[url]www.twitter.com/natlparkservice[/URL], and on YouTube [url]www.youtube.com/nationalparkservice[/URL].

About Yellowstone-Teton Clean Energy Coalition: One of about 100 Clean Cities Coalitions across the country, YTCEC’s mission is to displace the use of petroleum in the transportation sector, improve air quality through reduced harmful emissions, and increase energy security. This work is accomplished primarily through the promotion of alternative fuels and vehicles, integrated transportation systems, and related conservation strategies and technologies that benefit the public interest by reducing energy consumption. As the sole regional designee of the Department of Energy’s Clean Cities program, YTCEC functions as Department of Energy’s on-the-ground advocate focused on petroleum displacement activities with a diverse array of stakeholders throughout the Greater Yellowstone Region.

John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Memorial Parkway

[email protected]

“The long fight to save wild beauty represents democracy at its best. It requires citizens to practice the hardest of virtues — self-restraint. Special privilege and conservation are ever at odds.” Edwin Way Teale

Yesterday, I took a drive to Yellowstone via Mammoth Entrance. Plug Share listed a 30 amp EV plug, which I was able to confirm and use. There are two Clipper Creek Level 2 chargers In Mammoth, which powered up my Telsa Model S at 20 mile/hr. I did charge for a little over 2 hours, gaining 50 RM of energy, while I walked the boardwalks around Mammoth Hot Springs. The 50 Miles gave me what I needed to drive to the Lamar Valley with plenty of energy to still get back home to Bozeman. Level 2 is so slow that I am not sure how practical they will be in the long run, but for now plugging in for 2.5 hours was an option that did not exist a few months ago.

IMG_8915.JPG
IMG_8916.JPG

I hear their are a couple new chargers in West Yellowstone. My Season Pass is good the rest of this month, so I'll see if I can scout out more of the EV charging scene in Yellowstone and post what I find out, here. The Rangers at the gate did not know anything about any EV charging and were gone when I exited the Park, so I'll kindly inform them next visit. There is a General Store nearby that is open year round and serve some hot meals, as well as rest rooms nearby. I had to be careful where I walked as the herds of Bison are pretty aggressive and unpredictable. Would you ever jump into a bull fighting ring in Mexico? If not, stay away from those large beasts, every year someone gets tossed up into a tree by a bison that has had enough! Yesterday, I saw a bison jump over the board walk railing like it was nothing! Give them lots of space!

Last edited:
Here is a little update from Clean Cities in Jackson Hole, Wy. These are the future 30 amp Clipper Creek locations by the end of 2016

Yellowstone-Teton Clean Cities | Our Initiatives

EV-Map-JPEG1-07.png

This shows additions of Clipper Creek 30 AMP Chargers to :
Gardener, MT,
Red Lodge, MT
Bozeman, MT (We presently have a Supercharger for Tesla and NEMA 14-50's at the Gallatin County Fairgrounds)
West Yellowstone, MT (2 Tesla HPWC's at Holiday Inn West Yellowstone are better for Tesla's)
Cody, WY
In the Park:
Old Faithful
Canyon Village
Grand Teton National Park:
Flagg Ranch
Moose
Colter Bay

I have personally used the 30 amp Cripple Creek charger in Mammoth and the Tesla HPWC at the Holiday Inn West Yellowstone.

The Park Rangers still don't know about EV charging and still have zero information for the Public.

Last edited: