Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tucson to Holbrook Supercharger via Showlow- Anybody tried it in an S85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did an evtripplanner.com check and it appears to require only 226 Range miles at 72F to make the 237 actual miles at the speed limit. I'm considering using this route to get to I-40 from Tucson since it's considerably shorter distance wise. Anybody made that run in an S85 yet w/o stopping to charge somewhere along the way? If I go through Flagstaff it requires supercharger stops in Casa Grande, Cordes Lakes and Flagstaff, and it's about 350 miles and 404 RM which is considerably more.. I've also looked into going via Payson, it's little shorter than through Flagstaff, but it does have a charger in Payson.. If you've done the trip from Tucson to Holbrook which route did you take and what was your experience?

I'll be doing this route late next month with my S85. My present plan is to stop in Show Low at an RV campground for a couple of hours and get a charge "boost". I'm a little suspect of EV Trip Planner on this route as I don't think I can maintain an average 290 w/h pace---indicated by Trip Planner---with the elevation change.

I've chickened out- I'm going to go via PHX and Payson- iCar has done the trip from Chandler to Holbrook successfully twice, with plenty of range to spare- So I will follow his lead- however, I will use my Chademo in Chandler to top off the KWhs used between TUS and Chandler. Thanks iCar. for paving the way!

I've chickened out- I'm going to go via PHX and Payson- iCar has done the trip from Chandler to Holbrook successfully twice, with plenty of range to spare- So I will follow his lead- however, I will use my Chademo in Chandler to top off the KWhs used between TUS and Chandler. Thanks iCar. for paving the way!

I think this is a good decision. I have also done Chandler to Holbrook - easy drive through Tonto National Forest. I really enjoyed how the scenery changed as I went up in elevation. Have a good trip!

Not to try and change your mind, but just some added info: I've spoken to the proprietors of both Gila RV in Globe, and K-Bar RV in Show Low; both are very willing to allow 2 or 3 hrs charging for a very nominal sum ($5, $10, respectively). Gila RV already has a special spot near the registration house for electric cars (and other uses, presumably). One stop at either of these should give me plenty of replacement kWh for the trip.

I went via Chandler and Payson- Range Charged in Chandler at the Blink Chademo it worked well- made it to Holbrook and still had 50 miles of range left- Had a tail wind and some construction slowed me down- that made the range charge more than sufficient.

I did it in 85D through the Salt River canyon 2 weeks on a range charge to 277 rated range driving at or slightly under posted speeds. Set AC to 74 in mostly high 90's temps. Arrived with 60 miles to spare! On the way back to Tucson went 5 mph over limit the whole way w AC set to 70. 50 miles rated range left.

Glad you made it, I may try that direction next time- I know that going via PHX(Chandler) and Payson works w/o much effort, but now that someone made it straight from Tucson to Holbrook and had plenty of range left, I'm no longer fearful of making it. Sadly, I have to drive my Tahoe on my next trip east- heading to Houston in a few days and can't take the extra day to go north to go east- maybe next year when I-10 has it's superchargers east of Tucson...

Adding a bit more info to this thread as I came across it when considering this trip.

I did this ride today from Tucson to Holbrook via 77 to 60. Car is a Model S 90D. Topped it off before leaving The Ritz in Tucson (destination charger and helluva nice place) and made it with 7% or so left on the battery.

I was pretty tame at about 5mph over the limit and also got caught up in some construction. A/C wasn’t really taxed as it was a 70 degree day.

Beautiful ride!!

I almost did it in the other direction in my S75D. The car nav said I could get from Holbrook to Tucson via Showlow and the Salt River Canyon. When I got to Globe it looked like I probably had enough charge left to get to Tucson, but I chickened out and headed to the Casa Grande SC. When in Tucson, I checked the nav for a trip to Holbrook and it directed me to Casa Grande, Cordes Lake, and Flagstaff. I suspect there is much more uphill going in that direction.

I'm the original poster.... I've done the trip via Payson two times and my friend in PHX has done it quite a few times- Pretty easy to make it from a charge in PHX - if I were doing it today- I'd go to the Scottsdale supercharger and then proceed to the highway through Payson to Holbrook. Coming back down it's pretty safe to get to Casa Grande- Although watch the wind and temps to make sure you have enough range.

If you do go the Payson route, beware of an awful photo speed trap in Star Valley.

Also look out for snow this time of year between Payson and Heber-Overgaard. It can catch you off guard if you're leaving PHX on a 70-degree day!