Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plasti dip wheel cap logo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - have anyone tried plasti-dipping the wheel cap tesla logo to red? I've tried myself by taping everything on the wheel cap except the log part, but didn't have good results after multiple attempts - when I pulled the masking tape, a small part of the edge of the logo always get lifted up, leaving an uneven & jagged edge on the logo. Tried using an exacto knife on the edge, but I couldn't get a clean cut on the plastidip material.

Anyone has experience doing this before? Thanks!

Hi - have anyone tried plasti-dipping the wheel cap tesla logo to red? I've tried myself by taping everything on the wheel cap except the log part, but didn't have good results after multiple attempts - when I pulled the masking tape, a small part of the edge of the logo always get lifted up, leaving an uneven & jagged edge on the logo. Tried using an exacto knife on the edge, but I couldn't get a clean cut on the plastidip material.

The trick is to pull up the masking tape while the last coat is still wet. That will create a clean edge. Each coat of dip will "reliquify" the previous coats allowing you to get a clean edge.

The trick is to pull up the masking tape while the last coat is still wet. That will create a clean edge. Each coat of dip will "reliquify" the previous coats allowing you to get a clean edge.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually tried that but didn't have great result. I'm thinking this might be due to the engraved tesla logo on the wheel cap is not very deep, thus did not create enough "edge" that allow the plasti dip to have a clean separation.

Do you know if that's a possibility and anyway to around that?

i plasti dipped the rear TESLA letters. After each coat I just went around the letter with a toothpick. In case of TESLA the letter are embossed so it was easy sliding the toothpick around the letters.

I myself bought the stickers but if i knew the toothpick trick i would have tried it on the caps as well.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually tried that but didn't have great result. I'm thinking this might be due to the engraved tesla logo on the wheel cap is not very deep, thus did not create enough "edge" that allow the plasti dip to have a clean separation.

Do you know if that's a possibility and anyway to around that?

When I go to fix the dip on the front bumper I'm going to dip my center cap Ts burnt copper to match the car. I'll post the results. I don't see there being any issues with the tape creating a clean edge.

The problem u encountered may have been due to too much dip. If there is too many layers, the most recent coat may not be able to "reliquify" the first coat. Just a possibility.

When I go to fix the dip on the front bumper I'm going to dip my center cap Ts burnt copper to match the car. I'll post the results. I don't see there being any issues with the tape creating a clean edge.

The problem u encountered may have been due to too much dip. If there is too many layers, the most recent coat may not be able to "reliquify" the first coat. Just a possibility.

What do you think would be the optimal number of coat? I've tried 3 thick coats, and 5 thin coats, both created rough edges when pulled. It would be great if you can share some pictures of your process so I can do it right this time. Thanks
In advance!

What do you think would be the optimal number of coat? I've tried 3 thick coats, and 5 thin coats, both created rough edges when pulled. It would be great if you can share some pictures of your process so I can do it right this time. Thanks
In advance!

If you're going for a matte black finish I would do 3-4 coats. First coat is always a tack coat, so go light. The next two coats can be medium-wet to wet. If u were to do an entire car, 5-6 coats is what you'd shoot for. Reason is u want to peel full panels using both hands with the dip breaking. If u were to peel the T on the center cap (small area), it wouldn't matter if u could peel the T off in one piece or three pieces. As long as u get complete coverage and it looks good, that's what matters. Even two coats would be peelable on such a small area. Try peeling an entire car when the dip rips every few inches. :scared: It would go from 1 hour to fully peel a car to 3-4 days. Yeah, big difference.

I'll do 2 black coats then 2 copper coats. The copper coats are about half the thickness of the black dip coats. So it'll be 4 coats but three "layers" if u see what I'm saying. I'll definitely post pics.