Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clearing the Media App Song Cache

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having persistent problems with my car properly categorizing music on my external drive. It keeps listing the same song multiple times--and playing it multiple times--even though it only appears on the hard drive once. Interestingly, this doesn't happen for all albums--only some of them.

Anyway, I think the fix is to clear the song cache to have the car reindex the drive. In the past, I've been able to plug in a jumpdrive (a different storage drive) into each of the two USB ports, let it index them, then restart--and that would clear out my song cache so that when I plug my original drive back in, it forces a clean reindex.

This action doesn't seem to work anymore for clearing out the song cache.

Does anyone know if the fairly recent option to clear personal data from the car clears the music cache? Or, does anyone know a reliable way to clear the cache so a disk does a fresh reindex in 6.2?

Boggles my mind that 2.5 years after its release, some of the basic features in this car that should've been perfected years ago are still works in progress. When I got my first S in Dec. 2012, I never would've guessed that 2.5 years later, I'd still be waiting for the capability of the car to pull album art from the metadata instead of from the net. So frustrating.

Not sure whether this will fully address your problem, but try putting your music into a "root" folder and/or renaming that folder. As this effectively changes the filename for every song (as the pathname changed), it'll force the player to re-read the tags rather than use whatever contents it has in its cache.

What I do is use a "root" folder that I name after the latest date on which I made changes (e.g. A re-sync from iTunes). That way, whenever I make any kind of change, it'll re-read all the tags.

Not sure whether this will fully address your problem, but try putting your music into a "root" folder and/or renaming that folder. As this effectively changes the filename for every song (as the pathname changed), it'll force the player to re-read the tags rather than use whatever contents it has in its cache.

What I do is use a "root" folder that I name after the latest date on which I made changes (e.g. A re-sync from iTunes). That way, whenever I make any kind of change, it'll re-read all the tags.

This, it seems renaming the root folder forces a rescan. I should also take this time to mention either a forced rescan or manual option on USB media option would be nice.

As well the ability to read volume information from storage and display it so that it's just not USB 1, 2, 3, etc. Especially problematic for those of us that have multiple volumes per storage device due to SSD usage and/or really large USB sticks.