Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

opening the interior rear view mirror?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We can do better than that thread...

Here are some pictures of R&R for interior mirror.

Step 1. Separate the right half of the housing. Using a flat head screw driver, thrust into the seam crack from the right so the blade goes in behind the left half of the housing:

IMG_7497.jpg

There are several mated clips around these halves, found in these locations. Insert the blade near these and twist, they pop apart.

IMG_7498.jpg

Then the left half of the housing basically just falls off easily. Here's what it looks like with no housing.

IMG_7493.JPG

The next part takes nerve.
Grab the mirror stalk and rotate it counter clockwise, about 45 degrees.
While keeping the mounting face flush and flat to the windshield. Just twist, no pull.
It's a spring loaded hexagon shaped clamp.
This frees the mirror from the windshield.
Here's what the hexagon stump mount looks like on the windshield, the thing on the left is the rain sensor:

IMG_7490.jpg

Unplug the mirror wire harness. There's a little tab you press in to separate the plug from the socket.
Picture above is already unplugged.
OMG the mirror is a Volvo part!

\
IMG_7485.jpg

OK, the reason why I wanted to remove the mirror is so that I could rotate it around 180 degrees, turning it upside-down so the straight edge of the mirror is along the bottom, and the bumped side is now facing up. The next steps show how.

Last edited:
I wanted to rotate the mirror for a couple reasons.

1. The shape of the mirror follows the shape of the rear window image when the mirror has the flat side down. Ever since I got the car it seemed like the mirror was upsidedown for this reason.

2. I wanted to raise the height of the mirror on the windshield. I am tall, 6'4" my head is near the ceiling, and the mirror is just too low blocking a lot of my view.

Notice that the stem ball joint is not dead center on the back of the mirror, in stock placement, the ball is on the top of the mirror. By rotating the mirror around the ball, the bulk of the mirror now pivots and rests above the ball joint.

There is a key in the mirror ball joint that prevents from just rotating the mirror the way I wanted.

First to deal with is the compression ring around the ball joint. Seen here as a steel ring.

IMG_7486.jpg

There's a gap in the ring, insert your flat blade screwdriver in there and twist to open it up, and pop the ring up off its resting spot.

When the ring is off you can pull the ball out of its socket.
And now you can see the key grove in the ball that prevents total degrees of freedom.

IMG_7487.jpg

Here's a closeup down the ball socket, you can see the plastic "key" on the lower left jutting out that fits into the grove in the ball.
Dremel took the key off in a second, it's just plastic:

IMG_7488.jpg

With that key removed, put the mirror back together, ball in socket, then snap ring.

Here is a picture now from the side with mirror rotated upsidedown:
IMG_7489.JPG

Now, just install the mirror in reverse order, rotate it back onto the stump, plug wires back together, and snap the closure halves together over it.

Here's what I mean the shape fits the rear window better with the upsidedown mirror, even the sides of the mirror follow the sides of the window slope better:
IMG_7495.JPG

And now the mirror is higher up on the windshield.

I can see a little more out the window underneath it.

Having raised the mirror, the rear window view is slightly modified too.

Now the center rear seat headrest is not obstructing the image out the rear window in any way.
There is slightly less vertical opening view out the back window, the rear window is "squashed" in the vertical dimension a bit.

But I never look back!!

Last edited:
@scottm I know this thread is pretty old and I hope you get to see my message. After parking my 2012 Model S p85 outside for few weeks, when I came back from my travel, I noticed that the center mirror was hanging off from the windshield. The left half housing was holding the assembly barely to the windshield. I have no idea how this could happen (I did replace the windshield in summer 2020 by a local glass shop, when the original windshield developed a crack).

Here is how it looked. I detached the dimming cable removed the mirror assembly as I didn't want that falling on the large screen.

Tesla says they can't fix this as it's 'not a serviceable
IMG_5600.jpg
IMG_5600.jpgIMG_5601.jpgIMG_5602.jpgIMG_5603.jpgIMG_5604.jpgIMG_5607.jpgIMG_5608.jpgIMG_5609.jpgIMG_5615.jpgpart and the entire windshield needs to be replaced'. They have a quote for $1200 which I declined.

Is there a way to attach this back to the windshield. Nothing seems to be 'broken'. It seems like whatever adhesive was holding it, gave up. Not sure if the local glass shop who replaced the windshield in 2020 did a poor job in attaching the mirror assembly.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.