Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zack Spencer's Motormouth Canada - 2015 Tesla Model S P85D Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

And I quote from 7:17 on this video where I shook my head.

Now lets get into pricing on the Model S. This is not an inexpensive car. One of the reasons why the sales have been very slim for this product around the world. They only sold 33,000 cars around the world last year. You consider the top makers in the world, Toyota, Volkswagen, and General Motors all sold just above or just under 10 million cars around the world. So 33,000. This is a very very very small car company. Going to be interesting to see if they can bring the price down when the bring out the Model 3 in a couple of years, if it ever comes.

Last edited by a moderator:
His show is sponsored by a competing car maker. His network is sponsored by oil companies.

He himself is not a big fan of electric cars. Given that, he did give the BMW i3 a reasonable review last year.

On balance, he gave the Tesla a good review, as you would expect given how amazing the car is. He compared the P85D favourably to the top of the line Porsche Turbo, one of the top cars in the world.

Anyone who has driven one is convinced. Cost is a major issue, and so is the total number of cars produced, but we all know here that Tesla's plans are well on their way to produce in the millions over the next decade.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
-Mahatma Gandhi

I take offence to his comment about the car being for rich people and the fact that taxpayers shouldn't be paying
The rich for their rebates. How dare he say that!
I have a 2013 S85 I bought last year. My payments per month are less than what I was paying in gas every month on my SUV.
So there.
He failed to mention the huge gas savings particularly if you do a lot of driving, like I do. It adds up to huge savings over the years not to mention the little or no maintenance as well. No $39.00 oil changes, no alternator, fuel pump, water pump, radiator replacements etc.
The gas savings is a huge plus.
Also, having only a rear wheel drive version, I have yet to be stuck in the snow in the eastern Winter.
The car has so much power and torque, that it is virtually impossible to get stuck! Yes I have Winter tires for Winter driving.
In my opinion, the all wheel drive version is a gimmick!
Save your money and, if you are in the market for this wonderful car, get the 85 kW model rear drive only.
The Performance model is certainly nice but not worth the extra $20,000 or so especially since you will eat up tires very quickly and find yourself charging more often. How green is that?

That was a truly strange review. Almost completely positive up until the point Paul mentions.

It's as if the show producers stepped in and said "What are you doing?! We can't have a review that says nothing negative! Add some negative things!" There's not really any other way to explain how far they were reaching by the end to come up with something bad to say about it.

Others have already discussed the most glaring faux pas in this review; the comments on Tesla's limited production volume,

So I'll tackle the other two glaring errors I noticed:

1) Incentives just help rich people buy $150K toys - Sorry dude, tax incentives apply to ANY electric vehicle (and even some hybrids), not just expensive Teslas. And if you're one of those "government shouldn't play favorites" guys, I guess those billion-dollar oil subsidies are next on your chopping block, right? Right?

2) User interface - You grumble about how you wish there were redundant controls for major interior functions, so you didn't need to plunk through the touchscreen for everything, while at the same time dismissing the fact that nearly every major interior function (volume, radio station, fan speed, temperature, sunroof, etc, etc) has redundant controls on the steering wheel! You know, where the drive doesn't have to take their eyes off the road...

The thought processes of some people are just plain frustrating.