Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I saw my life flash before my eyes. Anyone else with a similar story?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
Last week, I was driving up a one-lane-each-way, winding canyon road. Speed limit was 40. I'm going uphill behind a gravel truck and 2 cars at about 30 mph. Finally, there's a dashed yellow line for passing. Nobody coming as far as the eye can see (which wasn't that far due to a curve up ahead). I start to pass them, and as I'm half way past the truck, I see a truck barreling down the hill coming towards me. I floor it, cut back in lane with a few seconds to spare, and was at 88 mph. With heart racing, I think to myself, "not going to pull one of those again!"

Last week, I was driving up a one-lane-each-way, winding canyon road. Speed limit was 40. I'm going uphill behind a gravel truck and 2 cars at about 30 mph. Finally, there's a dashed yellow line for passing. Nobody coming as far as the eye can see (which wasn't that far due to a curve up ahead). I start to pass them, and as I'm half way past the truck, I see a truck barreling down the hill coming towards me. I floor it, cut back in lane with a few seconds to spare, and was at 88 mph. With heart racing, I think to myself, "not going to pull one of those again!"
Wouldn't have been able to do that in most cars. Most comparable cars, the spin up lag alone would have got ya, would have had to smash the brakes and cut back behind everyone else.

I was legally passing a row of cars on a 2-lane road when one of the cars I was passing didn't check and thought he's pull out to pass as well. I swerved, he swerved, the cars we were passing all slammed on their brakes. When the tire smoke cleared, about 6 cars were all pointed in different directions, but none of us bumped into each other and there was no damage other than the fact that we each had about 6 months of our lifespans scared right out of us!

Same thing happened to me 6 months ago, but I didn't make it. I hit head on with the semi. I went to the bright light, turns out the light was just the fluorescent lights of the morgue I saw before they zipped the bag up for good.

I write you now.. as a ghost from the other side.

Same thing happened to me 6 months ago, but I didn't make it. I hit head on with the semi. I went to the bright light, turns out the light was just the fluorescent lights of the morgue I saw before they zipped the bag up for good.

I write you now.. as a ghost from the other side.

Yea, that's why I don't do passes like that where there isn't that much visibility to the curve, let alone a three-vehicle pass. I value my life some, but honestly, I just don't want to scratch up my car. :)

- K

We all make our own calls and live with the results of our decisions.
Here is to everyone making decisions they can live with.
This^^^^. Our cars have so much passing power that it is always tempting to use it. Early on, I did a few 3-4 vehicle passes (30-35 in a 50 zone with >1/2 mile clear on the left). Haven't done it since for fear of getting into the situation described by mknox (post #4 above).