Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leave plugged in for battery conditioning with delayed charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that we are advised to leave our cars plugged in when not in use for best battery conditioning, etc. However, if you are using delayed charging, is there still a reason to plug in before charging starts? Say I get home at 6pm with charging set to start at 12am... and assume I may head out for a short trip at 8pm. Does it make sense to plug it in from 6-8 since it won't charge during that time? Bottom line: does battery conditioning, etc. still take place when plugged in with delayed charging?

Thank you

I know that we are advised to leave our cars plugged in when not in use for best battery conditioning, etc. However, if you are using delayed charging, is there still a reason to plug in before charging starts? Say I get home at 6pm with charging set to start at 12am... and assume I may head out for a short trip at 8pm. Does it make sense to plug it in from 6-8 since it won't charge during that time? Bottom line: does battery conditioning, etc. still take place when plugged in with delayed charging?

Thank you

Unless faced with very extreme temp conditions, it won't likely do any conditioning.

I leave mine unplugged when I get home form work on the nights I'm going back out again in a couple of hours, unless I suspect I'll want to warm the car from the app first. But even with temps in the teens or in the high 90's/low 100's I've never seen the car spontaneously condition the battery when parked for a few hours.

It certainly doesn’t hurt the car to be plugged in. I plug mine in every time I park in the garage. It’s a good habit since sometimes plans change and you might forget to plug it in. I find it’s better not to try and outsmart myself and keep things simple :)

It certainly doesn’t hurt the car to be plugged in. I plug mine in every time I park in the garage. It’s a good habit since sometimes plans change and you might forget to plug it in. I find it’s better not to try and outsmart myself and keep things simple :)

Ditto. I simply always plug in when I get home. It's my routine so I never forget to plug in.

The only time I don't plug mine in is when it is already close to 90% (my daily charge setting) or I know thunderstorms will be in the area. I usually try to unplug when I think there is a possibility for bad weather... Or charge before the weather rolls in then unplug at the first crack of thunder :)

FYI in winter, if I do not plug in every night I end up with zero regen for half my commute, plugging the car in all the time solves problem, so YES, battery is conditioned. I also now run the heating from the office before I leave work, regen on all the time.