Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car Price Premium Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure there will always be somebody who is so eager to obtain one that they are willing to pay above retail. With the order-to-delivery wait on the "X" likely to be a much shorter wait than the MS had I would guess that should bring the actual resale price down very quickly to the order price, less rebates.

Agree the wait times should be significantly less. But there's always a few (and I expect very few), willing to jump in late in the game and pay the premium. I can see a few of them happening after launch/first reviews, but I wouldn't dare trying a speculative buy on that. You'll get stuck with the worlds best SUV, so it won't be too bad I guess if you did and could afford to keep it. :)

In the very early days of Model S sales, when the order to delivery times were close to a year, delivered Model S rocket-ships sold for a premium over the actual build price. Are we likely to see this phenomenon repeat itself? For how long?
I don't see that happening again for the S, but it could happen for the X for awhile this year.