Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is This is a Good Deal? CPO S85 for $78,900?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIN 5YJSA1H15EFP30536

S85
13,270 miles
No Autopilot

Grey Metallic
Pano
21" Silver wheels
Black Nappa Leather seats
Piano Black
Tech Pkg
Air Suspension
Park Sensors
Fog Lamps
Ultra High Fidelity
Premium Lighting
Subzero
Dual Chargers
Paint Armor

Thoughts from more experienced Tesla owers than me?

I think this is a horrible deal considering that you can buy a P85 for the low to mid 70s if you look around and the P85 is a significantly better driving car. I would not pay more than $70K for a RWD 85. Also for the low $70s (after Federal rebate) you can buy a brand new 2015 70D with AWD and autopilot with almost the range of the 85 RWD. If I were you, I'd either buy a 2015 70D new or I'd buy a used P85 for the low to mid 70s.

VIN 5YJSA1H15EFP30536

S85
13,270 miles
No Autopilot

Grey Metallic
Pano
21" Silver wheels
Black Nappa Leather seats
Piano Black
Tech Pkg
Air Suspension
Park Sensors
Fog Lamps
Ultra High Fidelity
Premium Lighting
Subzero
Dual Chargers
Paint Armor

Thoughts from more experienced Tesla owers than me?

A brand new one in CA would be about $88K after the tax credits, so youl'd be getting about $9K off. However, if you add the $4K for the extra 50K mile warranty, since it's CPO, you'd be getting more like $13K off.

It's a 2014, so no, it's not a bad deal at all. Personally I'd probably buy new for such a small price difference.

- - - Updated - - -

I think this is a horrible deal considering that you can buy a P85 for the low to mid 70s if you look around and the P85 is a significantly better driving car. I would not pay more than $70K for a RWD 85. Also for the low $70s (after Federal rebate) you can buy a brand new 2015 70D with AWD and autopilot with almost the range of the 85 RWD. If I were you, I'd either buy a 2015 70D new or I'd buy a used P85 for the low to mid 70s.

I don't think you added up the options correctly. The new cost before the tax credits would be $98K and you didn't factor in the CPO warranty.

The CPO warranty extension is 2 years so it's not the same as the 4 year extension that you can buy for $4k.

Also I think Model S prices and options have changed with the introduction of the 85D and especially the 70D so a RWD 85 purchase that made sense a year ago may not make sense based on what is available today. When you buy a used car, you should get a "deal" compared to what you can buy new so we are both in agreement there in that the OP is likely better off buying new, especially a 70D. I don't consider this discount being offered for this particular CPO vehicle to be much of a deal at all compared to what else is available both new and used. Personally if I was going to pay the 70s for a used car I'd buy a used P85 that can be bought for that price. In fact I bet you can find a used P85 for the mid 70s and you can buy that and another 4 years of warranty for a total of 8 years of coverage for the price of this CPO RWD 85.

If I were the OP, I'd just buy a new 70D for less money than what this CPO vehicle is being offered at. I'd then get AWD, Autopilot, some of the newer Model S refinements, and the 70D is technically faster.

A brand new one in CA would be about $88K after the tax credits, so youl'd be getting about $9K off. However, if you add the $4K for the extra 50K mile warranty, since it's CPO, you'd be getting more like $13K off.

It's a 2014, so no, it's not a bad deal at all. Personally I'd probably buy new for such a small price difference.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you added up the options correctly. The new cost before the tax credits would be $98K and you didn't factor in the CPO warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in Colorado which has a $6,000 state tax credit. So $13,500 total credits. Maybe new is the way to go for CO residents.

If you can get $13,500 in tax credits this CPO vehicles makes absolutely no sense. Just buy new, either the 70D or an 85D. Especially for someone living in Colorado why not get AWD?

That CPO vehicle you found IMHO is an awful deal considering what is available for new or used.

From what I can tell, CO has the most generous EV state tax credit. I was going to look at inventory cars, since the credits are valid, but the Store here sent me an email with this CPO vehicle.
I'm frankly surprised that they would even try to sell a CPO vehicle in Colorado. I would think they would focus their efforts on states without so generous a tax credit for new/inventory cars.

I say that is not a good deal. You can probably can find an inventory car at slightly higher price, but then you get the tax credit which can make it overall cheaper. Why not just get a tricked out 70D? It is probably faster and better than the S85. And you just take a slight hit on the max range which you might use rarely if you don't do many road trip.

What's interesting is that those that traded their MSs into Tesla were all quoted buy back prices that took into account the tax credits that were available in the state that they were trading it in. You would think they'd have different pricing in each state based on the incentives available for new copies. If the CO state rebate alone is $6K, then it's a no brainer. Even at a lower incentive I personally wouldn't be a buyer of the CPO car unless I was saving a good $20K off of new.

I agree with everyone. The only way this CPO car would make sense pricewise was if it was priced in the low to mid 60s. Even at that price personally I'd still just get a 70D nicely loaded or a used P85.

- - - Updated - - -

Also consider that the CPO vehicle will have a longer warranty than the new one! Only Tesla can offer that!

Not if he buys a new 70D. Then he's only missing about 1 year of the cumulative CPO warranty coverage (4+2-1 vs. 4 years for a new vehicle) and he can always pay $4k and add 4 years of extra warranty while the CPO only give you 2 years of additional warranty. So for the mid 70s he can actually buy a brand new 70D with 8 years of warranty coverage and that is less than what this CPO is being sold at. The more I think about it the worse this CPO offer sounds like. It's a horrible deal for anyone who pays $79K to buy it.

Currently, this CPO deal is only worthwhile for someone ineligible for the rebates (fed and/or state). Beyond that, I would personally be pursuing Autopilot and/or AWD. But that's me. I already decided in early March that I would not get a used 85 and instead buy an inventory car b/c of Autopilot. Now with the 70D, that is what I will get unless an inventory 85 crops up when I am ready to make the purchase. Not to knock the CPO program, but the value-add isn't there for me at the price Tesla is offering.

From what I can tell, CO has the most generous EV state tax credit. I was going to look at inventory cars, since the credits are valid, but the Store here sent me an email with this CPO vehicle.
colorado is very generous. I would buy new without thinking twice or inventory new.
Considering the CO incentive you might be able to score a p85d for the price of a new 85D(IN NY STATE that has no incentive)

I did not now this. So a CPO Model S registered only in CA would be eligible for the $6k if bought by someone in CO?

As long as it hasn't been registered in Colorado, it should be possible to claim the tax credit. I know there's a used car dealer in Boulder that "imports" Volts from other states and sells them with the promise that they haven't been registered in Colorado and that they are eligible for the tax credits (although for the Volt, it's not the entire $6000). The form for the tax credit states:

Used vehicle purchases
No credit is allowed for the purchase of a used electric or plug-in hybrid electric motor vehicle if a credit was previously claimed for the vehicle by any prior owner. Any credit claimed for the purchase of a used vehicle must be accompanied by a "Vehicle History Report" showing the vehicle was not previously registered in Colorado. A “Vehicle History Report” can be obtained from any of a number of third party companies that offer such reports. An internet search for the phrase "Vehicle History Report" should provide a listing of companies that can produce this report. A used electric or plug-in hybrid electric motor vehicle must meet all of the criteria listed at the top of this page in order to qualify for the credit.

See https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/Income67.pdf