Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ever get airborne?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume you mean "airborne", not "air born".

airborne.png

Tht's what rental cars are for :smile:
"Nothing handles like a rental car"

I was at Watkins Glen for an Audi club "high performance drivers' education"* years ago. Someone flew into Corning Elmira Airport (about 30 minutes from the track), rented a generic GM econobox, and came out and did a few laps, before the brakes started to fade.

* Most people would just call it "amateur racing", but the car clubs don't like the R-word - HPDE is "non-competitive" (yeah, right) and not technically racing. It's more of a distinction to keep the clubs' insurance companies happy.

Last edited:
"Nothing handles like a rental car"

I was at Watkins Glen for an Audi club "high performance drivers' education"* years ago. Someone flew into Corning Elmira Airport (about 30 minutes from the track), rented a generic GM econobox, and came out and did a few laps, before the brakes started to fade.

* Most people would just call it "amateur racing", but the car clubs don't like the R-word - HPDE is "non-competitive" (yeah, right) and not technically racing. It's more of a distinction to keep the insurance companies happy.

The insurance companies don't care anymore. Over the past decade (or maybe two, I'm getting old) they've all changed from wording that excluded "timed events" to excluding anything that happens on a track. HPDEs used to slip through on a technicality, but good luck getting track damage covered these days, timed/competitive or not.

If you're taking a car to the track that you can't afford to write off, you better have dedicated track day insurance.

The insurance companies don't care anymore. Over the past decade (or maybe two, I'm getting old) they've all changed from wording that excluded "timed events" to excluding anything that happens on a track. HPDEs used to slip through on a technicality, but good luck getting track damage covered these days, timed/competitive or not.

If you're taking a car to the track that you can't afford to write off, you better have dedicated track day insurance.
True, but I meant keeping the car clubs' liability insurance companies happy, not the car owners' collision companies happy. Re-reading my quote, that wasn't clear.

I'll edit my post to make that clearer.