Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Valle d'Aosta (largest SC site to date)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's really cool - and Aosta is such a neat place. If it were me, however, I think I would have used the title "Biggest Supercharger So Far".

Regardless - always happy to hear more progress with SpCs in Italy.

I don't know why..
I can just say that Aosta is in a mountain place, a crossroad between Italy, France and Switzerland. Many people pass through.
And wealthy Swiss people pass by to visit Italy.
Maybe that's part of the reason. And maybe this will just be the first of many 14 stalls superchargers.

This is the first Supercharger I've ever seen. I thought that the "white closets" were just standard parts of the SC. Do you think they might be battery storage units? That would be great!
No sign of solar roof so far, but it looks promising.

Um... why? You cannot possibly convince me that there are more Tesla's crossing the Alps than there are going up the 5 in CA where we only have 6 (!) stalls.

yes, because if there is anything California is lacking besides water, it is most definitely SuperCharger stalls. Lets not dwell on the total number of stalls that there is in this one station in Italy compared to the total number of stalls at all stations in proximity of I5.

yes, because if there is anything California is lacking besides water, it is most definitely SuperCharger stalls. Lets not dwell on the total number of stalls that there is in this one station in Italy compared to the total number of stalls at all stations in proximity of I5.

Actually, EU has a much denser coverage of SpC than CA. Oh, and something like 20,000 Tesla's are on CA roads. Just sayin

I linked pictures in the first post.

This one is from one week ago. I haven't seen any "Energy Storage" label.

20150420_113245.jpg

Thanks for the updated picture. The "Tesla shed" does not appear to be large enough for energy storage. It looks to be about right for switchgear and 7 Supercharger cabinets. I think it would need to be about 50% larger to accommodate the kind of energy storage units that we've seen at other Tesla sites. I like this style of enclosure compared to the enclosure styles we see in the states.

Actually, EU has a much denser coverage of SpC than CA. Oh, and something like 20,000 Tesla's are on CA roads. Just sayin

The reason is pretty simple. In most of Europe the allowed highway speeds are substantially higher than in the US. so to flow with the traffic you will get shorter range. Specially in Germany where most of the SuC are found. Without the proximity of the SuC:ers There would probably not be very many sales in Germany or in the rest of Europe of TESLAs...... just saying ....... :)

Thanks for the updated picture. The "Tesla shed" does not appear to be large enough for energy storage. It looks to be about right for switchgear and 7 Supercharger cabinets. I think it would need to be about 50% larger to accommodate the kind of energy storage units that we've seen at other Tesla sites. I like this style of enclosure compared to the enclosure styles we see in the states.

Maybe you are right. I haven't see any picture of battery storage SCs, I don't know how big the shed should be.

There is still one thing that make me think that this SC might have at least a solar roof. The cost...
Back in december I've been to the building site and the informative panel stated that the projected cost was 500.000 €!
It seems too expensive to be just a normal SC. Am I wrong?

Thanks a lot for pointing me to this thread Manuel!
I'm closely monitoring this for my trip on May 22nd, where I will be passing through Switzerland from the Martigny SuC on my way to the cost.
The Aosta charger will be pretty critical after having gone uphill cross the Great St Bernard Tunnel (pass), requiring some extra engery.
Looks very promising that it will open in time.

Thanks a lot for pointing me to this thread Manuel!
I'm closely monitoring this for my trip on May 22nd, where I will be passing through Switzerland from the Martigny SuC on my way to the cost.
The Aosta charger will be pretty critical after having gone uphill cross the Great St Bernard Tunnel (pass), requiring some extra engery.
Looks very promising that it will open in time.

From Martigny to Aosta? That should be very easy and much too soon to recharge. Remember you recuperate when driving, down, too.

True, from Martigny to Aosta is only about 90km, indeed not far, but 405km to my end destination, which is why I consider the aosta charger as critical . I plan to charge full in Aosta, then top up a bit at the Turin airport parking, which will allow me to reach the destination without much charge wait time.

Maybe you are right. I haven't see any picture of battery storage SCs, I don't know how big the shed should be.

There is still one thing that make me think that this SC might have at least a solar roof. The cost...
Back in december I've been to the building site and the informative panel stated that the projected cost was 500.000 €!
It seems too expensive to be just a normal SC. Am I wrong?

I think you're right the canopy will have solar. Looks identical to similar station in Denmark. In my opinion I think that cabinet is a battery. Other more "simple" supercharger stations in Europe don't have any cabinet like that, and this looks like the one in Denmark which also has a battery.