Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

window tint affects rear door handle presenting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any one have a problem when approaching the vehicle from a certain/same angle and the door handles do not present. It has been suggested that the ceramic tint may be the culprit. However when the handle is touched it still does not respond.

Anyone else have this happen?

If the handle is not presenting automatically or when touched, it certainly sounds like the signal from the fob isn't reaching the receiver in the car. I thought the receiving antenna was up in the cowl near where the wipers are when they're parked, so window tint shouldn't be an issue.

First thing I'd do is pop a new battery into the fob.

Many stories of the vehicle not responding to the fob when approached from the rear quarter of the vehicle, generally people talk about the "Tesla two-step" to get the vehicle to respond, that said, by the time you get far enough forward to tough your handle it should be responsive.
Agree with mknox, start by checking the battery in the fob, next step talk to Tesla about the reciever.

It is currently in service. Batteries changed. Was told all the other vehicles in service are doing the same thing. Was also told it is normal for model s. Was also told the sensors run across the rear glass. I really like my service guys, and have no reason to even think they are not trying to satisfy me but when I got the car last year it worked flawlessly. They said they were working with engineering but nothing so far. I asked for them to try again with the windows down, so we will see. It was after that that I was told where the sensors were located.

- - - Updated - - -

Again it seems strange that this one handle only doesn't respond when touched.

Was also told the sensors run across the rear glass.

My understanding is that there is a sensor at the back of the car (could be in the glass) to pick up the fob when you are trying to open the hatch. On my car, I can walk to the back of the car, press the hatch button and it will rise every time. But the door handles will not unlock and present until I walk about 2/3 of the way towards the front if I am approaching from the back. Makes me think the front and rear fob sensors serve two distinctly different functions.

When they do present all four present and retract. The problem is that when approaching from the rear passenger side only none of the handles present.

I believe the sensor is on the drivers side at the front. On North American vehicles, that would be the left side. Not sure if Tesla would have moved it to the right in the UK, but I'll bet they did on the assumption that it would favor the driver since a driver getting into the driver's door is the most common scenario. (You're in the UK, right?). I also notice that walking up to the passenger side on my car is not as responsive as it is on the driver's side.

Sorry, I misinterpreted when you said "one handle", this sounds to me like the normal situation that people describe when approaching the vehicle from a rear corner, I saw someone post a modification they did to add an antenna near the rear of the vehicle, however most owners seem to do what they call the "Tesla two-step" which is to walk a bit more towards the front of the car to get it to unlock and then return towards the rear to access the rear doors or charge port.

Stop looking at the fob or the receiver, this is a handle problem. The fob is an all or nothing deal, it doesn't open 3 out of 4 handles, it does all of them, or none of them. If one handle isn't behaving but the others are, it's the handle.
Note the the OP said all the handles do not present.
Any one have a problem when approaching the vehicle from a certain/same angle and the door handles do not present.

I get that I just don't understand why it they don't present when touched. And it is only the one handle that does that.
Touching is not magical, it won't get the handles to present unless the fob has been detected first to unlock the car, when you approach from that corner, you touch the handle before the fob has been recognized, whereas when you approach from any other angle the fob is detected before you touch the handle, if you step toward the front of the vehicle, and then back and touch the same handle it will likely present just fine. The problem is that you are approaching in a dead zone for the fob receiver so it isn't detected before you touch the handle.

- - - Updated - - -

Note the the OP said all the handles do not present.
Note that the post I made was after he posted a different wording that indicated only one handle didn't work, and also Note that I already got clarification and Note that I already corrected my response accordingly.

NOTED... LOL

Note that the post I made was after he posted a different wording that indicated only one handle didn't work, and also Note that I already got clarification and Note that I already corrected my response accordingly.[/QUOTE]