Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Norfolk, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I did a little detective work today with the City of Norfolk Planning Department and they were able to confirm for me that they have issued a permit for construction of a supercharger site at the Janaf shopping center. I then called the folks at the shopping center and they confirmed that it will be located on the main road that runs in between the two halves of the shopping center in the parking lot in front of TJ Maxx. The area is about 2 miles or 7 minutes from I-64 at the Northhampton Blvd exit, which is also the road to the Chespeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. It can also be accessed easily from I-264 using the Military Highway exit, which would be even closer, just over a mile from the exit.

There are numerous dining options available at Janaf: pizza, Chinese, Subway, Qdoba, Popeyes, Olive Garden and Mexican plus a couple of buffet joints. There is a pretty crappy Days Inn right next to that area and a nicer Holiday Inn Express that is about a half mile away.

I have attached an overhead shot from Google Maps with the "A" indicator in the approximate location indicated by the shopping center lady on the phone. From the way she described it, I believe it will be against the grass strip across from TJ Maxx in the spaces immediately next to the shopping center road.

norfolk supercharger.PNG

Someone from the supercharger@teslamotors address told me that they hoped for a late May or early June opening. Next time I'm down there I'll try to scout the location for progress pictures unless we have someone local who gets there first. I might see if my brother or Dad can swing by and check it out this weekend.

It will probably make 64 the preferred route instead of taking 664 and going around the worst traffic, but on days where the hampton roads tunnel was especially bad, you could probably still come through Portsmouth without too much pain. Its a fine location for heading to Virginia Beach or the Eastern Shore.

Thanks for the investigative work.

It's a bit inconvenient if you're heading south and taking 664 around. I was hoping for a location in Newport News west of the split. Somewhere around Patrick Henry Mall seemed ideal. Ah, well, a Supercharger somewhat nearby is far better than none at all!

There are numerous dining options available at Janaf: pizza, Chinese, Subway, Qdoba, Popeyes, Olive Garden and Mexican plus a couple of buffet joints. There is a pretty crappy Days Inn right next to that area and a nicer Holiday Inn Express that is about a half mile away.

Hey you forgot to mention Hooters! Always a nice pitstop on the trek to the beach with the wife and kids:wink:

Hey you forgot to mention Hooters! Always a nice pitstop on the trek to the beach with the wife and kids:wink:

Amusingly enough, when it first opened I was recruited to go to it by a group of 7 women when I used to live down there. They spend the entire lunch quizzing me on why guys liked that kind of thing. Most awkward work lunch of my life. I also forgot Firehouse Subs, which I prefer to Subway and it is closer.

This is a great location for anyone heading to VB or OBX from points north. The eastern shore route is so much better than taking I95, especially in the DC area. From the Salisbury SC you're starting to stretch range, especially in temperature extremes. Just need to watch the speed traps in these small towns. And for anyone driving through NC, 21 miles over the speed limit is considered a 2nd degree misdemeanor and subject to arrest and jail time, or at best a mandatory court appearance...now how do I know that :)...

Thanks LetsGoFast for some good news on an othewise forgettable Friday.

In the meantime...

I expect to make a trip Miami-Norfolk in early May. Obviously the Supercharger will not be up, although there are nicely spaced Superchargers on the rest of the trip (other than my beginning in Miami, that is). Plugshare seems to indicate quite a few CHAdeMO chargers around, and a few level 2 as well. Is anybody on this thread knowledgable about chargers at Norfolk area hotels or other locations? I only need enough to have limited local driving, an 'insane' mode demo or three :scared:, and get back to Rocky Mount Supercharger.

In the meantime...

I expect to make a trip Miami-Norfolk in early May. Obviously the Supercharger will not be up, although there are nicely spaced Superchargers on the rest of the trip (other than my beginning in Miami, that is). Plugshare seems to indicate quite a few CHAdeMO chargers around, and a few level 2 as well. Is anybody on this thread knowledgable about chargers at Norfolk area hotels or other locations? I only need enough to have limited local driving, an 'insane' mode demo or three :scared:, and get back to Rocky Mount Supercharger.

I believe there is some information in this thread: Fast Chargers near Norfolk VA?

In the meantime...

Also check this thread.
1 Year later and Virginia Beach is still behind on chargers... - Page 5
I stayed at the Marriott at City Center in Newport News which is a nice location with restaurants, shops and several well marked Level 2 chargers. There are a few other hotels on plug share in the area but most seem to only have level 1 charging only. There are several very new CHAdeMO public chargers now in the area but I have not had a chance to use them yet and I'm not sure if they are fully functional based on limited info on the PlugShare site. If you have the CHAdeMO adaptor they would be worth checking out.