Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Top of the Line guesses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a similar post in the Model S section by commasign and thought I might do something similar for the Model 3. Provides a good guess as to what we will see. I am not interested in the lower trim levels of the car but if I have time I may add them anyway. Obviously the Model 3 numbers are my predictions. I think it will be interesting to see how close I come once reality is officially announced.

Model 3 Predictions.JPG

I have no idea how to make it a pretty chart like commasign did :frown:

Ok, I'm sold, when can I reserve one? The only line I'm skeptical of is the range. I don't believe the range will be much if any further than the Model S. Its hard to get the aero better (than the Model S) on a shorter car (Model 3). Weight savings will help on city driving, but range on the freeway is all about aero (and energy storage capacity).

Ok, I'm sold, when can I reserve one? The only line I'm skeptical of is the range. I don't believe the range will be much if any further than the Model S. Its hard to get the aero better (than the Model S) on a shorter car (Model 3). Weight savings will help on city driving, but range on the freeway is all about aero (and energy storage capacity).

You can have the number 2 spot right behind me !! I believe that by the time the Model 3 comes out the Model S and possibly the X will have greater ranges. But I agree that my guess is on the high hopeful side :biggrin:

I don't think it will be quite that aggressive. Maybe 450-500 hp. As cool as it would be, $60-80k is well out of my budget, so it's all academic to me anyway. If RedSage's predictions are right, and that the base, $35,000(ish) model has 300 hp, that's plenty for me.

You can have the number 2 spot right behind me !! I believe that by the time the Model 3 comes out the Model S and possibly the X will have greater ranges. But I agree that my guess is on the high hopeful side :biggrin:
They almost have to.

- - - Updated - - -

They almost have to.

They almost have to make the S the longest range as the flagship*

Aero could be the same as Model S and could be better (step changes like lack of mirrors plus incremental improvements), and frontal area will be at least 10% less. Could get as much as 20% lower drag force at a given speed. Still I think range of 450 is very unlikely even if it were achievable. Elon has stated he sees little value in range beyond 300 and I imagine they'd rather keep the vehicle mass down.

There are lots of variables to consider when using the term 'top of the line'... I believe the most expensive version of any street legal car is typically a performance oriented convertible or speedster based upon a coupe. That is because the economies of scale are different as compared to hardtop sedans which are vastly more popular.

If you presume the top trim level of the Model ≡ sedan will cost $49,900 then it is likely a coupe version would command an additional $5,000. So that brings us to a $54,900. That could have perhaps another $15,000 in options added to it. So we are looking at $69,900 for a fully loaded coupe -- and lawd-only-knows how much more beyond that for a hardtop convertible.

Then there is the other direction, to get a race prepped de-contented, barely street legal version that has no rear seats, a bare interior, lots-and-lots of carbon fiber for a spartan experience bent on achieving the utmost in go fast performance at the expense of all conceivable creature comforts -- for a premium that claims fervently, 'Less is more -- really it is! Now pay up!'

There are lots of variables to consider when using the term 'top of the line'... I believe the most expensive version of any street legal car is typically a performance oriented convertible or speedster based upon a coupe. That is because the economies of scale are different as compared to hardtop sedans which are vastly more popular.

If you presume the top trim level of the Model ≡ sedan will cost $49,900 then it is likely a coupe version would command an additional $5,000. So that brings us to a $54,900. That could have perhaps another $15,000 in options added to it. So we are looking at $69,900 for a fully loaded coupe -- and lawd-only-knows how much more beyond that for a hardtop convertible.

Then there is the other direction, to get a race prepped de-contented, barely street legal version that has no rear seats, a bare interior, lots-and-lots of carbon fiber for a spartan experience bent on achieving the utmost in go fast performance at the expense of all conceivable creature comforts -- for a premium that claims fervently, 'Less is more -- really it is! Now pay up!'

OH NO !!! If RedSage agrees with my chart I am doomed !!! LOL :rolleyes:

Really, I was just saying that top-of-the-line means different things, dependent upon the audience. ;-)

I expect that a dual motor all wheel drive Model ≡ coupe with falcon wing doors and 135 kWh battery pack will cost me a nice bit over $60,000 when I pick it up in 2019. Think of the magnitude... If an 85 kWh battery pack is sufficient to achieve nigh 700 HP, then a 135 kWh battery pack would provide boundless energy. 1,100 HP would be nice!

0-60... Don't blink.
1/4 mile... 8.0 seconds, 150 MPH
Top Speed... 248 MPH

Yeah.

Really, I was just saying that top-of-the-line means different things, dependent upon the audience. ;-)

I expect that a dual motor all wheel drive Model ≡ coupe with falcon wing doors and 135 kWh battery pack will cost me a nice bit over $60,000 when I pick it up in 2019. Think of the magnitude... If an 85 kWh battery pack is sufficient to achieve nigh 700 HP, then a 135 kWh battery pack would provide boundless energy. 1,100 HP would be nice!

0-60... Don't blink.
1/4 mile... 8.0 seconds, 150 MPH
Top Speed... 248 MPH

Yeah.

Cool !!! and that means what for the next Roadster ?

I make a distinction between a Model ≡ convertible, or cabriolet, and what I feel will be the 'Next Roadster'. Basically that the Model ≡ car would be a 2+2, with a second row of seating. The other car would be a strict two-seater, offered in both RWD & AWD configurations, and would be called Model R. Later, another car would directly tackle the hyper car market as the Model Z. I believe there will be room for all three of these within the Tesla Motors lineup.

• One to handle AUDI A3/A4, BMW 3-Series/4-Series, and Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class/C-Class...
• One to handle Corvette & 911 fans...
• One to utterly demolish everything from Ferrari, Lamborghini, McClaren, Koenigsegg, Bugatti, & Pagani...

Last edited:
I doubt they'd position the Model 3 (the number 3) ahead of the Model S P1XXD that exists at the time in terms of acceleration. There is a thread already about the next gen Roadster. I don't doubt there might be a performance Model 3 with a 0-60 time in the 3-4 second range though.

Just because every Chevette, Citation, Cavalier, Cobalt, and Cruze got its bum spanked by the Chevrolet Corvette doesn't mean that Tesla Motors will follow the same modus operandi.

The quickest, fastest, most capable BMW 7-Series still bows before the BMW M3. BMW doesn't care, because they sold 14 times as many 3-Series cars in the US during 2014 as they did 7-Series. And likely at a much higher profit margin than either Cruze or Corvette.

If you were Tesla Motors, which tack would you follow?

Well the ≡ Series BMW is a much smaller car as well and part of the M division. If Telsa is positioning the 'P' as their own M type division then maybe but right now it stands for the performance version of that line (Dual motor now too I guess). Why would Tesla sell a 2.5 second car for $60,000 less than their Model S unless the new P series car is at least close to it in performance? It's not like people would be disappointed with a 3 second $70,000 Model 3 when the Model S is a sub 3 second car at that point. The Model S is more of a 5 series length anyway as the 7 series is 3 to 10" longer.

Last edited:
An M division interpretation of what a track bound 3-Series/4-Series or 5-Series would/should be doesn't change the platform it is based upon any more than do AMG variants of CLA/C/E/CLS/S-Class vehicles or tuned variants of street vehicles from Ruf, or TRD, or Mugen, or Mopar, or Lotus, or Saleen, or Callaway, or Roush, or Hennesy, or Shelby for that matter.

Why does Porsche offer a $200,000+ version of the Panamera that gets its [BUM] handed to it by $105,000 Tesla?

Tesla Model S is 196.0" long, with a 116.5" wheelbase. It is also 77.3" wide. BMWs are ugly, and their mother dresses them funny. So what?

2012_5_Sedan_Side-Front_View.jpg

Attachments

• 2013_7Series_TechSpec_Front-Side.jpg
    2013_7Series_TechSpec_Front-Side.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 559
Is this not breaking a cardinal rule with manufacturing - never undermine the higher-end model - especially in performance. And in this case, range as well. Sorry I can't believe the Model 3 performance attributes that will trounce those of the Model S in any way. Wouldn't this be business suicide for the Model S?

At best I predict the 'top of the line' specs be slightly under or maybe match that of the lower end S (both the 60 and now the 70). Even having dual motor for the model 3 will be a stretch I believe. Maybe the top model 3 may have this as it main selling point. Personally I think power will be in the 200-300hp range and battery capacity no more than 50kWh. What ever performance figures and range comes from that - I don't know. I'm sure the targeted mass market target audience won't really worry too much either when it comes time to buying one. I think thinks like price, range, safety, warranty, seating capacity, comfort, (and cup-holders:))etc etc will be further up the wish list.

Is this not breaking a cardinal rule with manufacturing - never undermine the higher-end model - especially in performance. And in this case, range as well. Sorry I can't believe the Model 3 performance attributes that will trounce those of the Model S in any way. Wouldn't this be business suicide for the Model S?

At best I predict the 'top of the line' specs be slightly under or maybe match that of the lower end S (both the 60 and now the 70). Even having dual motor for the model 3 will be a stretch I believe. Maybe the top model 3 may have this as it main selling point. Personally I think power will be in the 200-300hp range and battery capacity no more than 50kWh. What ever performance figures and range comes from that - I don't know. I'm sure the targeted mass market target audience won't really worry too much either when it comes time to buying one. I think thinks like price, range, safety, warranty, seating capacity, comfort, (and cup-holders:))etc etc will be further up the wish list.

I totally agree with this. The model 3 will be bare bones compared to MS in order to get weight and cost as low as possible to absolutely maximize sales and compete with the Leafs and Volts. It's not going to be a mini-Model S.

I totally agree with this. The model 3 will be bare bones compared to MS in order to get weight and cost as low as possible to absolutely maximize sales and compete with the Leafs and Volts. It's not going to be a mini-Model S.

Agree as well. I can see a performance version trouncing everything its price range but not the P1XXD that is out at the time. Sure, the next gen Roadster may be built off the Model 3 platform with those amazing specs but it wouldn't be a version of the Model 3.