Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging the 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the theory is correct that the 70 has the same battery Voltages as the 60, then the initial charging is limited by the current limit of the Supercharger, etc of 330 Amps. That limits initial charge rate to 105 kW. Because of the increased capacity, the taper should come a little later, rather than just past 0% SoC.

I'm going to try to arrange to borrow a 70D for a day or so when my car goes in in a few weeks. I want to add it to my Charge Speed Chart Video. Right now, I have the 60 and 85 showing charging speeds from 10 to 80% on 80 amp HPWC, CHAdeMO, and Supercharger, I want to add the 70's charge speed to the list.

I was in the Tesla Store at The Domain in Austin today. The sales chap remarked that the 70D has a "denser" battery pack.

I thought it had the same sorts of battery as the 60 and 85, except, some number that's in between. I wonder what he meant.

(if it is indeed denser, the Supercharger information will be very interesting to see)

I'm going to try to arrange to borrow a 70D for a day or so when my car goes in in a few weeks. I want to add it to my Charge Speed Chart Video. Right now, I have the 60 and 85 showing charging speeds from 10 to 80% on 80 amp HPWC, CHAdeMO, and Supercharger, I want to add the 70's charge speed to the list.

If you do, take a pic of the battery version label. I don't think we've seen one yet.

For that matter, if anyone is over at a showroom or service center and sees a 70D, snap a quick photo up under the front passenger wheel well, behind the rear side of the wheel.

If you do, take a pic of the battery version label. I don't think we've seen one yet.

For that matter, if anyone is over at a showroom or service center and sees a 70D, snap a quick photo up under the front passenger wheel well, behind the rear side of the wheel.

Darn it! I knew I forgot something Monday!!! I took video of the exterior of the car, accept the darn pack!!! :( ARGGGGGG

Maybe "potential issue" or "concern" is a better way to put it as we don't seem to know anything yet. But the very lack of information at this point is what makes me most anxious:

- there is NO positioning of charge times vs. other models anywhere, at all, from Tesla Motors.
- there is no report that I am aware of here on this forum of anyone having any free time in a 70D.
- there are no pictures of the battery pack -- but then again, the 70D units at the Tesla stores were probably built a while back and things may have changed.
- there are some reviews of the 70D that make it sound like the reviewers were left alone with the car, but again, ZERO talk about charge times, etc.

As one of the first batch of 70D purchasers, I would feel sleighed if this model doesn't at least have the same charging fortitude as the 85D. If there are any substantial differences, they should be made very clear eg. on the Design Studio site, like they were back in the 60 days.

Maybe "potential issue" or "concern" is a better way to put it as we don't seem to know anything yet. But the very lack of information at this point is what makes me most anxious:

- there is NO positioning of charge times vs. other models anywhere, at all, from Tesla Motors.
- there is no report that I am aware of here on this forum of anyone having any free time in a 70D.
- there are no pictures of the battery pack -- but then again, the 70D units at the Tesla stores were probably built a while back and things may have changed.
- there are some reviews of the 70D that make it sound like the reviewers were left alone with the car, but again, ZERO talk about charge times, etc.

As one of the first batch of 70D purchasers, I would feel sleighed if this model doesn't at least have the same charging fortitude as the 85D. If there are any substantial differences, they should be made very clear eg. on the Design Studio site, like they were back in the 60 days.

Prepare to feel slighted. You are very unlikely to get the same charge rates as the 85 for no other reason than there are less cells to take in the energy. However, the voltage of the pack is going to have a significant difference in charging speed. If the 70D pack is running at 350 volts, expect 60 like charging profiles. If it runs at 400 volts, that will help things along.

Actually either way it will get faster charge rate than the 60KWh. If it's 60KWh model Voltage, then it will max out at 105KW charge rate. It will sustain that rate for much longer. If it's 85KWh model S voltage, then it will charge at higher voltage and overall KW input will higher but will taper off much faster than the 85KWh version. It will be better if it was the latter, but who knows what tesla will do. Until someone definitely post a picture of the 70D supercharging, we will not know.

I took delivery of my 70D today and meandered up I35 into Oklahoma and ended up at the Ardmore Supercharging station. My main purpose was to just make sure SC was turned on and good for an upcoming trip I'm going to take in the car. So I almost nearly forgot to photo the charging screens! lol

I'm not an expert or 100% sure of what I was looking at the few times I glanced at the charging screen, but it definitely looked to be taking in S60 pack style voltage, but the charge was very fast. My apologies that I did not think to take pics at the very middle and end of charge, but I saw mine hovering around 325-331 volts the first couple minutes before building up to about 345-350 and then volts seemed to slowly come back down a bit as it approached the end of charging. As far as I can tell it never got anywhere near the 400v that 85khw packs get, but I did not watch the whole time. Also, I was not charging from a low battery pack, as I still had about 101 miles on the range when I plugged in.

I'd say I was there for no more than 50 minutes, and not all of that charging. I wasn't watching the charge closely because I ended up talking with another Tesla owner who came over to chat about the 70D, and I did not yet have my Tesla app set up to notify me when charge is complete. Yeah, I'm a charging newb. A very, very happy ecstatic charging newb. On his Model S gotcha-day. ;)

Anyway, here are a couple photos of what did manage to remember to take shortly after I plugged in. Hope this helps those who have been wanting to know. I personally am not disappointed in the charging speed and convenience, at all, and I do not begrudge 85s if their packs do it faster. Of course I am a former Volt owner who had no DC quick-charge capability at all, so it's amazing to me I got 140 miles of range in the time it took to play with the radio and talk to another EV owner! lol

Oh yeah, PS -- I frickin' love this car!
IMG_1994.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_4752.jpg
IMG_4766.jpg

I took delivery of my 70D today and meandered up I35 into Oklahoma and ended up at the Ardmore Supercharging station. My main purpose was to just make sure SC was turned on and good for an upcoming trip I'm going to take in the car. So I almost nearly forgot to photo the charging screens! lol

I'm not an expert or 100% sure of what I was looking at the few times I glanced at the charging screen, but it definitely looked to be taking in S60 pack style voltage, but the charge was very fast. My apologies that I did not think to take pics at the very middle and end of charge, but I saw mine hovering around 325-331 volts the first couple minutes before building up to about 345-350 and then volts seemed to slowly come back down a bit as it approached the end of charging. As far as I can tell it never got anywhere near the 400v that 85khw packs get, but I did not watch the whole time. Also, I was not charging from a low battery pack, as I still had about 101 miles on the range when I plugged in.

I'd say I was there for no more than 50 minutes, and not all of that charging. I wasn't watching the charge closely because I ended up talking with another Tesla owner who came over to chat about the 70D, and I did not yet have my Tesla app set up to notify me when charge is complete. Yeah, I'm a charging newb. A very, very happy ecstatic charging newb. On his Model S gotcha-day. ;)

Anyway, here are a couple photos of what did manage to remember to take shortly after I plugged in. Hope this helps those who have been wanting to know. I personally am not disappointed in the charging speed and convenience, at all, and I do not begrudge 85s if their packs do it faster. Of course I am a former Volt owner who had no DC quick-charge capability at all, so it's amazing to me I got 140 miles of range in the time it took to play with the radio and talk to another EV owner! lol

Oh yeah, PS -- I frickin' love this car!

the amps decline as you fill up. You were pulling 252 amps midway thru

nice iWatch...

So it is confirmed. They just made the 60kwh pack larger so hence the lack of power and same voltage. So in my opinion if you have a 70d, you will max out at 105kw charging limited by the amps you can put in. It will take longer to taper down compared to the 60kwh so you will have faster charging but not as fast as the 85kwh

the amps decline as you fill up. You were pulling 252 amps midway thru

nice iWatch...

haha thanks, my passenger's. But I do have the classic leather band one. Speaking of, Connect TT app is beta testing their apple watch app and it's kind of cool - Watch App Beta Testing Update

Very good to know what the amps will read as the charging progresses. I can't wait to Supercharge again, just amazing I could drive across the country and not use gas. I hope these stations don't fill up with long waits after Model X & 3 ship.

Last edited:
kaiserpathos, Thanks for the data. Finally some real world info. So it looks like we have another 350 volt pack. Likely still with the 105kw charge max, but with a better taper profile than a 60. I guess this puts the nail in the coffin about having 16 modules. Looks like 14 modules, just like the 60. Now is it using the same modules as the 85 with identical chemistry or new chemistry? Probably the same as the 85.... (14/16*85=74.38) so why isn't a 74kwh battery? Perhaps a new module style, less cells than an 85 but more than a 60.

So it is confirmed. They just made the 60kwh pack larger so hence the lack of power and same voltage. So in my opinion if you have a 70d, you will max out at 105kw charging limited by the amps you can put in. It will take longer to taper down compared to the 60kwh so you will have faster charging but not as fast as the 85kwh

So it's 7/8 the Voltage with 70/85 the capacity. Charge time to same State of Charge should be very similar to an 85, perhaps slightly faster, with charge rate in rated mph being slightly lower.

Max initial charge power will be 105 kW or 7/8 of 120 kW, then charge rate will be limited by the taper which is proportional to capacity or 70/85 of an 85 pack.