Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for FOBO Tire Plus - $30 or $50 off, plus free express shipping ($20 value)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
After the success of the Blackvue Dashcam group buy

Blackvue 650 (Dashcam) Group Buy for $310, including 32 Gig card and Power Magic Pro

I decided to reach out to the makers of FOBO Tire Plus, to see if they would be interested in putting together a package for us. I am happy to report that they were, and it is a good one!

Details on the FOBO Tire Plus can be found here: FOBO Tire Plus - FOBO

Here's just one paragraph, their short overview video, a picture of the unit in each color option (black and silver), and a screenshot from the app:

FOBO Tire Plus is an advanced Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) using latest Bluetooth 4.0 that works directly with your Android and iOS device. With an intelligent In-Car monitoring unit that works on its own or simultaneously with your smart phone, FOBO Tire monitors up to 600 kPa(87 psi)
and give you an alert in the absence of a smart phone. Comes with 4 tire sensors and 1 in-car unit.

setblack.png
FoboTire App.jpg
setsilver.png

Overview:

Note that this is the unit that can handle higher pressures than their original FOBO Tire unit.

The FOBO Tire Plus normally sells on the FOBO website for $229, plus $20 for express (3-5 day) shipping, and no charge for standard shipping, which the site says takes about twenty days.

The deal the FOBO people are offering us is as follows:

10-24 units: $30 off, plus free express shipping. So we'd pay $199 each total, for product and service that would ordinarily cost $249.
25 units or more: $50 off, plus free express shipping. So We'd pay $179 each total, for product and service that would ordinarily cost $249.

I'd be surprised if we can't get to 25 units, but shocked if we can't get to at least 10 units. I know the FOBO Tire product was popular even before they came out with the FOBO Tire Plus that offers the increased pressure monitoring.

There are a few threads on TMC where people talk about FOBO Tire. I'll link to a couple of them below. One of the things that caused me to move forward with this now was how diligently FOBO worked to resolve an issue that some forum members were experiencing with Bluetooth streaming of music and their iPhones. As it turns out, I believe the issue was actually an Apple issue. In any case, my understanding is that the issue is now completely resolved. That being the case, and seeing how FOBO continued working to resolve the problem until it was resolved made me believe the timing was right to move forward with this group buy.

I believe artsci may have been the first to write about owning a FOBO Tire unit:
Reading tire pressures from inside my house!

This thread may be the one that introduced FOBO Tire to TMC:
Fobo Tire Pressure monitor for smart phones

(It's that second thread above that includes the information about the bluetooth issue and the eventual resolution.)

As a disclaimer I should say I have no affiliation with the company that makes FOBO Tire Plus, and before early this morning had never had any contact with anyone at their company. I'll be paying the same amount we all pay--$199 or $179.

If you want to participate in this group buy please indicate your interest by posting in this thread, and then privately message me an email address where FOBO can send you a PayPal invoice. I will be sending FOBO a list of those email addresses--the people who want to participate in the group buy. FOBO will then send a PayPal invoice and take care of the rest.

I'll send the list to FOBO shortly after we reach 25 people, and then send another after that if there is continued interest. If we don't reach 25 people by May 7--two weeks or so from now--but have reached at least ten people, I'll send the list then. If for some reason we don't reach ten people then in all likelihood we'll each be on our own, but I really don't see that happening in light of how much interest there has been in the FOBO products.

Edit: If you only want to participate if we reach the 25 or more price, please still indicate your interest and just say that, and definitely make sure to say that when you send me your email address. I will make sure to only include your email address if we reach the low price, and to check with you if we don't. This will allow us to reach the 25 number faster than if there are a bunch of people waiting on the sidelines for the 25 number to be hit without them, planning on jumping in only if it is reached.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the group buy. (Questions about the product may be posted too, of course, but I probably won't be the one to attempt to answer them.)

Let's get this ball rolling! I'm in for one unit. 24 to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the basic question, but what does this offer that the built-in Tesla TPMS does not?

Actual tire pressure readings in psi.

Thanks for putting this group buy together. I am likely interested in a set.

mnx is correct, of course.

In addition to the tire pressure, you can also see the actual temperature in each tire, which of course changes as we drive.

The in-car unit will alert you if any tire's pressure is off, and you can also monitor the tire pressures, etc., via an app. A screenshot from the app is pictured. So in my case, if my wife has the car, as she often does, I can still monitor the tire pressures and temperatures on my phone.

For those of us with newer cars, and the newer version of the TPMS, it's possible Tesla may give us --SOME-- of this functionality in the future, via a software update. But I think it is unlikely that they'd give us all of it--especially the ability to monitor the information via the app.

And my thinking is that in the unlikely event that I buy the unit and two weeks after it arrives Tesla gives me every bit of functionality the FOBO Tire Plus has, I could probably still sell the used unit, and still not lose money, considering the discount we'll be getting off of retail price.

Another 2 questions. If I don't have the Tesla sensors, will the car display keep reminding me it can't find any sensors? Can you install this app in the Tesla?

I don't know what the Tesla display does if you don't have Tesla TPMS on your wheels. Perhaps someone else can answer that.

I'm not sure what you mean about "installing this app in the Tesla." This item, the FOBO Tire Plus definitely works with Teslas, but the app would install on your android phone or your apple phone. The FOBO "in-car unit" would go in your Tesla.

I'm not sure what you mean about "installing this app in the Tesla." This item, the FOBO Tire Plus definitely works with Teslas, but the app would install on your android phone or your apple phone. The FOBO "in-car unit" would go in your Tesla.

My Tesla is on order so I haven't played with the console. I don't know whether you can add third party apps to it, specifically this app.

My Tesla is on order so I haven't played with the console. I don't know whether you can add third party apps to it, specifically this app.

Ahh, OK.

No, you can't add third party apps to the Tesla console (yet.) For now there it has just a pretty basic web browser available on the 17-inch display. There is talk of Tesla opening things up to third-party developers at some point, but no one knows if or when that is likely to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be interested (and possibly 2 sets)---but a question. Can it handle 2 vehicles/2 systems? Can the app accommodate 2 vehicles (seamlessly work between 2 cars without logging out or in)? Do you need 2 accounts/log ins to manage this?

Thx.

Please check the company's website to be certain, but I saw something on there that I think made it look like you could monitor up to 100 vehicles from one app, with one login. I believe you can also allow multiple people to monitor the same car or cars.

Here is the very basic, intro video: Edit--I removed the link from this post, and edited the original post to include it there, as it makes more sense to have it there.

Last edited:
Please check the company's website to be certain, but I saw something on there that I think made it look like you could monitor up to 100 vehicles from one app, with one login. I believe you can also allow multiple people to monitor the same car or cars.

I tried to edit my post--should have watched the 8 minute video first...looks like you can have multiple sets/vehicles with 1 app. Thx.

I'd be interested (and possibly 2 sets)---but might hold out for the 25 set discount....:)

Thx.

I just added a note to cover this in my initial post in the thread. This is what I added:

Edit: If you only want to participate if we reach the 25 or more price, please still indicate your interest and just say that, and definitely make sure to say that when you send me your email address. I will make sure to only include your email address if we reach the low price, and to check with you if we don't. This will allow us to reach the 25 number faster than if there are a bunch of people waiting on the sidelines for the 25 number to be hit without them, planning on jumping in only if it is reached.