Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla isn't an auto maker, it's a battery company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been saying something similar to that headline since I first became excited about Tesla in the fall of 2013, but I put it this way: "Tesla isn't a car company, it's an energy storage and management company that happens to make cars."

And that is why those who value Tesla based only on its auto production and revenue numbers are missing the big picture.

More widespread battery use implies large scale production to make batteries considerably cheaper to have EVs compete with conventional cars. Particularly considering the fact that according to Edmunds "only 45 percent of this year's hybrid and EV trade-ins have gone toward the purchase of another alternative fuel vehicle, down from just over 60 percent in 2012".
"For better or worse, it looks like many hybrid and EV owners are driven more by financial motives rather than a responsibility to the environment", says Edmunds.com Director of Industry Analysis Jessica Caldwell.

Hybrid and Electric Vehicles Struggle to Maintain Owner Loyalty, Reports Edmunds.com

If you've been following some of Tesla's actvities in the industry, you've noticed this is has been a subtext within the company for a while. Note JB Straubel's comments at the Silicon Valley Energy Symposium:

I really love batteries. I might love batteries more than cars.

We are an energy innovation company as much as a car company.

Tesla wasn’t founded to make cars. We have enough cars. We have *too many* cars. Tesla was founded to change the game in energy.

Combine that with some of the other products they have spent development time on and you can see they have larger ideas:

straubel3.jpg

Prelim Apology: I apologize if this has been asked / answered numerous times, already.

Question: Should we expect:
- Name Change: from Tesla Motors to some name that more accurately reflects Tesla Motors' business economies of scope / scale

I won't even broach the SolarCity acquisition speculation.

Thanks

Prelim Apology: I apologize if this has been asked / answered numerous times, already.

Question: Should we expect:
- Name Change: from Tesla Motors to some name that more accurately reflects Tesla Motors' business economies of scope / scale

I won't even broach the SolarCity acquisition speculation.

Thanks

Tesla Energy, Inc.

I think 20 years from now Tesla together with Solar City is going to be more like Duke, Reliant, NRG etc.,. than it will be a simple car company. The corporate structure of that conglomeration remains to be seen.

As for the SolarCity speculation, it has seemed to me for a while that if the branding of the backup battery will be "Tesla" rather than "Solar City," then if Solar City ever builds its solar panel factory, it would kind of make sense to have the panels branded as Tesla panels rather than Solar City brand panels. Putting Solar City brand panels on a house with a Tesla battery backup doesn't jive quite as nicely.

But Tesla and Solar City seem to be on an inevitable parallel track, such that if they are ever to tap into the full potential to be like Duke, Reliant or NRG -- there will probably have to be a merger at some point.

Tesla Energy, Inc.

I think 20 years from now Tesla together with Solar City is going to be more like Duke, Reliant, NRG etc.,. than it will be a simple car company. The corporate structure of that conglomeration remains to be seen.

As for the SolarCity speculation, it has seemed to me for a while that if the branding of the backup battery will be "Tesla" rather than "Solar City," then if Solar City ever builds its solar panel factory, it would kind of make sense to have the panels branded as Tesla panels rather than Solar City brand panels. Putting Solar City brand panels on a house with a Tesla battery backup doesn't jive quite as nicely.

But Tesla and Solar City seem to be on an inevitable parallel track, such that if they are ever to tap into the full potential to be like Duke, Reliant or NRG -- there will probably have to be a merger at some point.

@stevejust the team definitely has had bigger plans for a long time. Have you ever typed in the URL "teslaenergy dot com"? ;) It will definitely be interesting to see how the conglomerate is arranged many moons from now.

Tesla Energy, Inc.

Has anyone had good experience with Solar City? I found them unwilling to work with anything but a composition shingle roof and much higher pricing per kW AC than others.

Has anyone had good experience with Solar City? I found them unwilling to work with anything but a composition shingle roof and much higher pricing per kW AC than others.

No. I had a terrible experience with them. I used a local installer and got an installation for less that $1.50 a watt after incentives and tax break, so I guess I should thank them for being a bag of jerks to me on the phone when I was trying to get a quote.