Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging doesn't stop in Standard Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Experiencing an odd charging behavior tonight. I was out today, did a top up charge with range around 50mi left just to add about 40mi and arrived home with ~70mi; plugged in as usual this afternoon and realized a little while ago that the car was still charging....it's set to "Standard" but had reached 204mi and was continuing to charge (although the car was drawing 17-18A from a possible 32A). Battery and motor temps were fine at 37C and 32C respectively and PEM was at 42C so nothing unusual there.

I stopped the charge manually via the vds but it kept restarting the charge even though it should not have done so. Eventually I stopped the charge at 205mi and pulled the connector so it could not restart again. Took the car out for a short drive around just to make sure everything felt and looked normal.

Any ideas?

Untitled.jpg

I've sometimes had my charge overshoot and then settle back to the correct range, but never by that much.

I wish! I'm usually in the 187-192mi range btw.

I think you're experiencing the overshoot phenomenon that djp is talking about. That happens to my car too but not usually by that much. It's most common when your battery is out of balance, which it probably was given the discharge/partial-recharge pattern you described. If you let it sit overnight it will probably drop down to something closer to your normal std mode range. Now that you drove it, it won't balance so you need to start it charging again, then stop it and let it sit overnight.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, here's what really happened. While developing the CAN SR I discovered a back-door hack that enables the 3.0 upgrade. We all got the hardware secretly at our last annual. I must have accidentally sent an over-the-air firmware upgrade to Nigel's adapter that enabled it. Darn. I'll fix that tonight. Nigel, let me know if your Roadster doesn't charge normally tomorrow. If this happens to anyone else just send me a PM. Or the cost of the 3.0 upgrade...:biggrin:

I think you're experiencing the overshoot phenomenon that djp is talking about. That happens to my car too but not usually by that much. It's most common when your battery is out of balance, which it probably was given the discharge/partial-recharge pattern you described. If you let it sit overnight it will probably drop down to something closer to your normal std mode range. Now that you drove it, it won't balance so you need to start it charging again, then stop it and let it sit overnight.

Thanks, that's helpful. Oddly though I had left the car with ~200mi and when I checked it just now it showed 178mi. I charged for a few minutes then stopped it at 181mi and I'll leave it 12 hrs now to see how it does.