Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP A STUDENT! Where does the Roadster Engine Sound Come From?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I'm finishing a grad elective at the moment for a Sound, Music and Technology class. My thesis project is looking at electric engine sounds. I'm lucky to be driving a Roadster at the moment so I thought I'd reach out to the community. Where would the group recommend to record the engine from the cabin? Or outside of it. Right now I need a quality recording either in WAV, aiff or Mp4 that I can manipulate. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited:
Hello!
. My thesis project is looking at electric engine sounds.
Cheers,
Jim

Just to clarify electric motors are not engines.

Engine definition
a.
A machine that converts energy into mechanical force or motion.

b. Such a machine distinguished from an electric, spring-driven, or hydraulic motor by its use of a fuel.

i.e; ICE internal combustion engine - STEAM external combustion engine

Wouldn't want to see your grade reduced on a technicality.

Last edited:
Just to clarify electric motors are not engines.

Engine definition
a.
A machine that converts energy into mechanical force or motion.

b. Such a machine distinguished from an electric, spring-driven, or hydraulic motor by its use of a fuel.

i.e; ICE internal combustion engine - STEAM external combustion engine

Wouldn't want to see your grade reduced on a technicality.

Please clarify....... For those of us whom the english language is not our first language. your definition seems to hold true for electric motors as well....?!

a. an electric motor is certainly a machine albite not very complex, that converts energy in to mechanical motion

b. the question here is what is a fuel......... does it exclusively mean a combustible liquid or solid, or does it also mean an energy source external to the machine being acted on?????

This is an interesting question for me and I would actually really like to know. Can someone give a clear definition to why an electric motor cannot be classified as an engine....

THANKS

Please clarify....... For those of us whom the english language is not our first language. your definition seems to hold true for electric motors as well....?!

a. an electric motor is certainly a machine albite not very complex, that converts energy in to mechanical motion

b. the question here is what is a fuel......... does it exclusively mean a combustible liquid or solid, or does it also mean an energy source external to the machine being acted on?????

This is an interesting question for me and I would actually really like to know. Can someone give a clear definition to why an electric motor cannot be classified as an engine....

THANKS

I find it interesting too. I think there is no 100% correct answer. Most dictionaries define it like this:

An engine is a motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work. (Hence an electric motor is not an engine).

I very much prefer "electric motor" and this is what Tesla themselves use without exception.

But other sources say:

In a strictly physics sense an engine converts energy into mechanical work. A motor is a subset of engines that produce motion as the mechanical work. So all motors are engines but not all engines are motors.

So in reality the future will tell wether "electric engine" will be an accepted term in the future or not. As with all language it's us, the users of the language, who ultimately define what is "right" or "wrong".