Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Drifting in Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprisingly, this was posted in the Videos section a few days ago. I can't imagine why anyone would put it there. What were they thinking?

65.gif

After listening carefully and translating as accurately as I can, I'm pretty sure he said "This car has defeated my attempts to contribute to the problem of greenhouse gases, but all is not lost. I've discovered a method to turn of the traction control that allows me to contribute smoke if not real C02..."

I'm so waiting for my first set of tires to be worn to the point where I get to turn off TC and light 'em up, and finish them off completely.

Close to home of course. So I can swap off to the next set.

cant even turn off traction control on mine. thanks for embedding!. can not access utube.
From the 6.2 NA owner's manual:
How It Works

The traction control system constantly monitors the difference in speed between the front and rear wheels. If Model S experiences a loss of traction, the system minimizes wheel spin by controlling brake pressure and motor power. By default, the traction control system is always active. Under normal conditions, it should remain active to ensure maximum safety.

On standard Model S vehicles, traction control can be turned off at any time. Turn it off only in circumstances where you deliberately want the wheels to spin, such as when Model S is stuck in snow or mud.

On a dual motor Model S, you can enable slip start to allow the wheels to spin at a limited speed. Slip start can be enabled only when Model S is moving 20 mph (32 km/h) or slower. Slip start automatically disables when the speed exceeds 40 mph (64 km/h).

This indicator displays on the instrument panel whenever the traction control system is actively controlling brake pressure and motor power to minimize wheel spin.

Warning: Traction control can not prevent accidents caused by driving dangerously or turning too sharply at high speeds.

Allowing Wheel Slip

Under normal conditions, the traction control system should remain enabled. Disable it only in circumstances where you deliberately want the wheels to spin, such as:
• Starting on a loose surface, such as gravel or snow.
• Driving in deep snow, sand or mud.
• Rocking out of a hole or deep rut.

To allow the wheels to spin on a standard single motor Model S, touch Controls > Driving > Traction Control > Off.

To allow the wheels to spin on a dual motor Model S, touch Controls > Driving > Traction Control > Slip Start.

This indicator displays at the top center of the touchscreen whenever the wheels are allowed to spin (i.e. when the traction control system on a standard single-motor Model S is turned off, or when Slip start on a dual-motor Model S is enabled.

Although the traction control system automatically reactivates the next time you start Model S, it is strongly recommended that you enable it immediately after the circumstances that required you to disable it have passed.

Last summer I had the honour of driving the P85+ in the Hill Climb at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in England. I turned off TC because I did NOT want TC kicking in on a corner when the back was loose and causing the car therefore to act as if I'd touched the brakes - result would have been a spin.

This video shows how to wreck your tyres quickly :). What's interesting to me is how little the front is drifting, showing how well this car sticks and how hard it is to unsettle.