Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation for charging station at a business?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone -

I'm planning to get a Model S some time later this year, and right now I'm in the process of constructing a new building for my business. I'm planning to put a charging station in the parking lot primarily for my own use but also to leave open for employees or other passers-by to use.

As it is right now, I have a circular concrete pad at the front of a parking spot, and in the center of that pad are three conduit pipes that lead back to the electric panel inside. The pipes are big enough to carry wiring for 100 amps each and then some.

In the next couple days I need to decide how to finish off that installation. I'm considering getting a commercial style charging station and would appreciate recommendations on brands or models, but I also considered just installing a post with 1-3 plugs of various styles.

Any suggestions?

A lot of Tesla owners here will suggest to use a 100 Amp charger or Tesla HPWC. This would give Tesla cars with dual chargers the maximum charging speed. This sounds like a good idea at first, but in reality it's not the best solution, IMHO.

Say you have a 200 Amp panel available for the charging stations. You can put in two of these chargers. Now you park your car there for 8 hours a day. Even if you arrive at zero battery level, and want to charge to 100%, you will be done charging in less than 5 hours. The rest of the time, the car just sits there taking up the charger. Now this is the worst case scenario. In reality you will never arrive empty and hardly ever charge to 100%. So your wasted time is much more! If anyone else is charging there, their max charge power is between 30 and 40 Amp. So if they use the charger, they would use only half the capacity. If instead of installing two chargers that both have 80 Amp power, you could install 4 chargers at 40 Amp giving twice as many cars the change to charge. At a typical work place you park your car for 7 or 8 hours. Maybe you go out for lunch for an hour. In 7 hours at 40 Amp you can recharge more than 200 miles of range. More than enough! So you could have 4 cars charging at the same time all getting plenty to drive home. Or you could have two 80 Amp units and those two cars would waste the space for more than half of the time.

My point is that having more chargers at normal charge speed is a more efficient and better way to use the available power.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I did end up installing one ClipperCreek HCS-60 and one standard 20a 120v plug on a pole. In the future I can add additional capacity to the pole or install others branching off, but this should be great for now.

Thanks again for your input.

Clipper Creek 100A unit (vs. the HWPC)...that way, all EV's can use it

A little late to his thread by agree 100%. I installed two of those at my place of business. Full 80 amps for Teslas with dual chargers and compatibility for everyone else.

I just feel that EV batteries (and corresponding on-board chargers) are only going to get larger over time, so why not future proof now?