Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using valet mode to augment range mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had anyone considered doing a longer mileage trip with valet mode on vs. off to see if the power cap of 80 is measurably beneficial in squeezing more miles out of a charge? I understand you'd have to limit speed to 70 and risk not being able to open the glove box. You also may get lost if you can't navigate home on the nav.

Lots of EVs have an eco mode or some way to set up the car so it gets a longer range by compromising power, heating and such. The Model S doesn't have anything except 'range mode' which has very very little impact. But then, the more I thought about it, the more I realized, there is few things that can be changed. We have no influence on weather or road conditions or going uphill or downhill. It is what it is. The only thing we have control over that makes a significant difference on range is speed. Going slower is the #1 thing to do to extend range. The range record of well over 400 miles in a Model S was done at 23 mph. So when you want to get the most range out of your car, you drive careful and slower than normal. It's things you have to do consciously. Accelerate slow, drive slow and look way ahead and read traffic and road conditions so you avoid any braking (which is basically burning energy).

The range record of well over 400 miles in a Model S was done at 23 mph.

Considering 400 miles @ 23 MPH is over 17 hours of driving, and 400 miles can pretty easily be done at 75 MPH with one <45 minute supercharger stop for a total travel time of just over 7 hours (10 hours less)...... this is going to be less and less relevant as time goes on.

That said, I still wouldn't mind a better range mode.

Well, no cruise control would not be helpful at all. I just noticed that on long trips when going up hills, power would often go into the 240 area to keep the cruises set speed. I wish there was a way to tell the car to not worry about keeping speed (within 10mph, let's say) when traveling uphill. I would think up to 5% could be gained this way depending on terrain.

Well, no cruise control would not be helpful at all. I just noticed that on long trips when going up hills, power would often go into the 240 area to keep the cruises set speed. I wish there was a way to tell the car to not worry about keeping speed (within 10mph, let's say) when traveling uphill. I would think up to 5% could be gained this way depending on terrain.

Yes agreed...When I am driving on a road with lot of uphill and downhill I tend to drive without cruise...figured energy consumption would be lower

Yea, agreed, that's sort of a deal breaker. I drove a Prius for 11 years, so I don't mind less power for a long trip. Having the 'nanny'/valet mode might buy me an extra mile or two which, given the distances I often drive, might be all I need to make my destination. But no CC, on the interstate, call me a baby, but that's just a nightmare in the making IMO.

Considering 400 miles @ 23 MPH is over 17 hours of driving, and 400 miles can pretty easily be done at 75 MPH with one <45 minute supercharger stop for a total travel time of just over 7 hours (10 hours less)...... this is going to be less and less relevant as time goes on.

That said, I still wouldn't mind a better range mode.

I like what you posted above...I hate to drive this $100K car at 55mph on a freeway where the speed limit is 75mph.

I just noticed that on long trips when going up hills, power would often go into the 240 area to keep the cruises set speed. I wish there was a way to tell the car to not worry about keeping speed (within 10mph, let's say) when traveling uphill. I would think up to 5% could be gained this way depending on terrain.

When going uphill, just tap the CC stalk down twice. It will reduce the speed by 10 mph. Once on top of the hill, increase the speed again by 10.