Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chams Electric: Great service and most competitive quote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hi, i just had 2 14-50 plugs and the whole panel replaced by Chams Electric in the Houston area.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]no quote fee.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I highly recommended them.

[/FONT]Also the below is what Tesla recommend as well

Hello XXX,

Congratulations on purchasing a Tesla Model S! To prepare for home charging, we recommend connecting with an electrician as soon as possible to install a new electric circuit for your vehicle.
For regular home charging, we recommend installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet where you plan to park. If you already have a trusted electrician, the technical details of this outlet can be found here: Printable installation guide for the NEMA 14-50 outlet.

If you need an electrician, our recommendation in your area is Chams Electric.

Contact Details:
Chams Electric
832-659-3442
[email protected]
Services the Houston area.

I bet you $5 he didn't pull a permit though.*
I just came from downtown, dealing with 3rd Notice Red Flag because I can't seem to get Cheikh to do the legal process. We are hand-holding this electrician thru each step.
His installers left our old main panel and a lot of old wire and punch outs right on the grass.
Cheikh is making me call CenterPoint on my own to do load analysis, and he is not familiar with the procedures of home service upgrade and meter pulls/reconnects.
I expect so much more from a pro, sorry but although his actual wiring work is OK and to code, I cannot recommend!

Rick

*Yes, I was invoiced for permits/inspections!

all others company i spoke to asked the owner to pay for inspection and permit.
No load analysis for us since they upgraded the whole panel. clean up was done at 95%. i did picked up a few wires and round punch-outs but no biggies for me. i was glad that they got everything done under 4 hours.

I had Chams Electric install my HPWC. They also upgraded the wiring from the meter to the panel from 150A to 200A, and replaced the main breaker (150A to 200A). Incoming service to the meter and the panel itself were already rated for 200A.

He invoiced me for the work, permits and inspection, and had Centerpoint come out to do the meter pull. Now, whether he actually got the permits and inspection or just invoiced me for them, I don't know. But I know he did load analysis because I cross checked him with the NEC rules, and he did it correctly. That's what required the panel feed and breaker upgrade.

He also clearly knows what he's doing and all of his work looks to be exactly code-compliant. I watched and looked at all the wire gauges and conduit sizes, and they're all correct. I definitely would recommend him.

He invoiced me for the work, permits and inspection, and had Centerpoint come out to do the meter pull. Now, whether he actually got the permits and inspection or just invoiced me for them, I don't know.
Easy to determine, with the City's online permits search using your address.
I just got back from an hour at the COH Permitting Center. Cheikh's outsourced permit guy (John McAndrews) last week finally pulled the 2 permits for Main Panel and the one for EV Level 2, and paid the $290-ish fee for the work found done without permits.
YMMV of course.

Just had Chams Electric install a 14-50 outlet in my garage. Overall job was done perfectly with the correct wire gauge and breaker used. Pricing was very fair compared to other companies. Hope this helps anyone who is looking for an electrician to install a 14-50 outlet.

He invoiced me for the work, permits and inspection, and had Centerpoint come out to do the meter pull. Now, whether he actually got the permits and inspection or just invoiced me for them, I don't know.

Easy to determine, with the City's online permits search using your address.
I just got back from an hour at the COH Permitting Center. Cheikh's outsourced permit guy (John McAndrews) last week finally pulled the 2 permits for Main Panel and the one for EV Level 2, and paid the $290-ish fee for the work found done without permits.
YMMV of course.

A city inspector actually did come by my place a couple weeks later and perform the inspection and left me a copy of the inspection sign-off. Everything was done correctly.

A city inspector actually did come by my place a couple weeks later and perform the inspection and left me a copy of the inspection sign-off. Everything was done correctly.

My install passed City inspection, too.
Cheikh is friendly, honest, punctual and easy to work with. He performed the post-install tests listed in the HPWC Install Guide (but I had to ask that they be done). I have had zero problems with any of his outlets, and he installed a main panel, 100A sub, 14-50, an HPWC (70A breaker) and two separate 20A outlets for me.
He gives good advice about what is doable in each situation, too.

Rick

Last edited:
Another satisfied customer! Today, Cheikh Gakou from Chams Electric came by to install a HPWC for me (in anticipation of purchasing a Model X later this year). Cheikh was punctual for the appointment, courteous, and the install took one hour. $500 was the cost. This is actually my second time hiring him (had a NEMA 14-50 installed in my previous home). Recommended highly!

IMG_4378.JPG
IMG_4379.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4379.JPG
    IMG_4379.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4378.JPG
    IMG_4378.JPG
    339.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4378.JPG
    IMG_4378.JPG
    826 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4379.JPG
    IMG_4379.JPG
    779.9 KB · Views: 60
Just had Chams Electric install a 14-50 outlet in my garage this weekend. Pricing was very fair compared to other companies. He was professional,punctual, friendly and easy to work with. He seems knowledgeable about Tesla requirements. Would recommend if you are looking for an electrician to install a 14-50 outlet.

Chams completed my HPWC installation in December also. He did a great job and his price was very reasonable. Tesla recommended him. I think he installs and services most (if not all) destination chargers in the Houston area.

I had previously contacted CenterPoint and their rep said that my infrastructure was more than adequate due to having a newly constructed home in a new development. I don't think an inspection was warranted but now I'm wondering if I should have one done after the fact.

Cheikh did my installation too, which was a bit more involved than most. My garage is detached which required digging a trench and laying conduit between the house and garage and installing a sub-panel in the garage. All this required a city permit which Cheikh obtained. The job proceeded relatively trouble-free except for the usual city-related confusion.

Thanks all for the tip! I have contacted him to install for me on the 18th pending my relocation. The other company I was speaking with was giving me estimates in the $1800 - $2300 range for a behind the panel install in my garage.

This is what these forums are so great for!

As my wife informed me that she wants a Tesla too, I have again hired Cheikh, this time to install a 220V outlet on the opposite side of my garage from my original charge connector. Not only that, but I had him move my original charge connector to a different, more convenient, location. I asked Cheikh to move the original charge connector without adding any new junction boxes. He said, "No problem." and that was that. The final work turned out great, and now we have something to admire in the garage while we wait for the new car to show up.