Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coast to Coast Record has been Broken April 16th, 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
April 21st 2015 Press Release

The EV “least charging time” coast to coast world record has been unofficially broken. On Thursday April 16th at 11:14pm PST. A team of three drivers: Rod Hawk, Deena Mastracci and Carl Reese drove from Los Angeles to New York City. Landing at New York City Hall at 1:36pm EST. Total elapse drive and charge time of 58 hours 55 minutes.

A team of three timekeepers: Anthony Alvarado, Matt Nordenstrom and Johnnie Oberg Jr.

GPS Insight provided third party auditing equipment. GPS Insight is the leader in software solutions for fleet management

Two records were smashed
1. Coast to coast fastest time in an EV of 58 hours and 55 minutes and 25 seconds. Is now the current record held by Rod Hawk, Deena Mastracci and Carl Reese as of April 19th 2015. They have broken the the unofficially time set by edumonds.com on July 16, 2014.

2. The “Least amount of Non-drive time of 12 hour, 48 minutes, and 19 seconds. AKA total charge time coast to coast.
Carl and Deena used their own person vehicle of the record setting event. Sponsor included: GPS Insight ,mobileInspect.com of Santa Clarita, CA ,ChalkoLot.com of Santa Clarita, CA TeslaGrilles.com, Signs by Tomorrow of Santa Clarita, and Might Fine Detailing of Los Angeles.

Trip Stats for: Team "Uber Qik” (Rodney Hawk, Deena Mastracci, Carl Reese)
Total Time: *58 hours, 55 minutes
Previous Records: (Edmunds.com: 67 hours, 21 minutes)
(Tesla: 76 hours, 5 minutes)
Total Distance: 3011 miles (Tesla: 3,427 miles)
Driving Time: *46 Hours 07 minutes 05 seconds
Previous Records: (Edmunds.com 52 hours, 41 minutes) (Tesla: 60 hours, 8 minutes)
Average Driving Speed: *65.4 mph
Previous Records : (Edmunds.com 63.2 mph) (Tesla: 57.0 mph)
Average Trip Speed: *51.1 mph (Edmunds.com 49.5 mph) (Tesla 45.0 mph)
Supercharger Plug-In Time: *12 hours, 48 minutes
Previous Records: (Edmunds.com 14 hours, 40 minutes) (Tesla: 15 hours, 57 minutes)

* Stat times remain unofficial until we get official times from GPSInsight and Guinness.
IMG_4849.JPG
IMG_4858.JPG
IMG_4860.JPG
IMG_4888.JPG
IMG_4923.JPG
IMG_4934.JPG
IMG_5164.JPG
IMG_5179.jpg

Nice one!!! I guess we'll have to gear up for a rematch!

But I'd like to think that we can still claim the unaided titles (for the time being): one vehicle solo with two drivers in the car the entire time with zero relief or support! ;)

Congrats!!!

# Superchargers visited?
# non-scheduled stops?

Thank you.....alot of preparation went into this attempt.

24 Superchargers visited
1 non-scheduled stop of less than 1 minute to make a roadside "nature call". All others were at superchargers or in bottles.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats..

What made you pick a P85D? If the purpose was to set records why didn't you choose a S85 with more range? I realize it's a nominal amount of miles and not sure if it would've made a difference. Just curious if you looked into it.

You make a great point. One that we discussed, but at the end of the day, We just happened to own a P85D. Didn't have the budget to pick up anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

I think NoMoGas just started his attempt from NYC to LA this morning. He now has a more challenging target.
He's going east to west. One would think this is a tougher route, due to the headwinds. According to his posts, seems it's already a factor.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice one!!! I guess we'll have to gear up for a rematch!

But I'd like to think that we can still claim the unaided titles (for the time being): one vehicle solo with two drivers in the car the entire time with zero relief or support! ;)
actualsize,
Solo would be a tough one. Definitely the Holly grail in a coast to coast record. Anyone that can do that drive solo under 60 hours would be my hero. We had three drivers that split the drivers seat equally, and that was a challenge.

actualsize,
Solo would be a tough one. Definitely the Holly grail in a coast to coast record. Anyone that can do that drive solo under 60 hours would be my hero. We had three drivers that split the drivers seat equally, and that was a challenge.
What was the total distance travelled in those 60 [-charging] hours?

Edit:
I'm blind...
Total Distance: 3011 miles (Tesla: 3,427 miles)

Sleeping at superchargers, I think it's doable. I drove somewhat that style on the way to Bonnie's for TMC Connect this year. "4,000 miles from Bellevue, WA to Loomis, CA"

A sample of that trip (which wasn't trying to set a record, or anything ;)):
29,509 Sat Jul 12 11:17 AM Grant's Pass, OR
32,277 Wed Jul 16 11:55 AM Parker, AZ
32,909 Thu Jul 17 8:09 AM Folsom, CA

Last edited: