Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't get one yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been reading this forum since I first drove an S in Chicago and recently re-lived the amazing experience. However, I just don't see how I can own one of these cars due to the lack of Superchargers. I'm in western N Dakota and there are none in the state (three are proposed but...) with the closest existing in Rapid City where I have a cabin. It's 150 miles down there and about the same distance to Bismarck. These are the cities I frequent most but there is no way to make the round trip anywhere in N Dakota without parking at an RV lot for much longer than I could stand.

I'm sure there are owners who are in similar situations and I'm wondering how you cope.

Texas was an island until couple of months back. I was not planning a road trip and I had home charging that took care most of the trip.

Did you email Tesla Supercharging team about this? They are usually open to suggestions and feedback. I would check with them.

Also in the supercharger website there is place where you can suggest a place for supercharging

You could probably do it ...check your route, and look for Level II charging possibilities (as opposed to just relying on Superchargers)...if none exist, see if you could find a host site for a "free" Tesla HWPC...also, what is your recharging capability when you are overnight at your cabin?...if you can set up a NEMA 14-50 with a 50 amp circuit, the 40 amp charge yielded by this set up will charge you nicely overnight.

Is this a 3 season trip, or do you travel to the cabin in the winter?

Remember, many of us here relied on Level II charging long before Supercharging was available...I think the best question to ask yourself is "does the extra time required to get enough charge to get you back and forth to the cabin negate the pure fun / environmental soundness of driving an EV"...

If it's 150 miles to Rapid City and you can charge at home, then that should be no problem. Drive there, charge up at the supercharger when convenient, drive back.

Bismarck is a bit of a problem though. That whole area looks like a total charging desert even with lower powered, more boring chargers. Plugshare doesn't have anything listed in the western two-thirds of North Dakota. It could be doable if you typically stay in the same place in Bismarck, and have access to a 40A outlet, and stay long enough to get enough charge to return. That's a lot of factors to come together, though. Absent that, I'd have to agree with your conclusion that it's not doable yet.

Our yearly pilgramage to Myrtle Beach from OH to SC takes us nowhere near a supercharger. To be able to supercharge, we would have to add another 350 miles to take a detour through PA. This is why I am still waiting on a Tesla.

The trip to Rapid is an easy one and I make it down there at least once a month, it's going to Bismarck and Fargo that kills me. I usually drive that round trip in a day but I think I'd have to have someone follow me with a trailer the way things are right now. Tesla plans SC's in Fargo, Bismarck and Dickinson in the next year but I'm not sure I can bank on that happening. I'm not aware of another S in the state and don't know how diligent Tesla is in following their "plan".

There are a number of RV sites with 50 amp connections along I-94. (See: Campgrounds in North Dakota with 50 Amp Sites) They would give you nearly 30 mph charging rate - which is better than most J-1772s.

As for Ohio->Myrtle Beach - looking at plugshare, maybe the way to do it is via I-75, instead of say I-77. Then use a CHAdeMO adapter for a couple of charges in TN to bridge the supercharger gap.

Last edited:
Personally I would definitely not order a Model S if it means relying on the construction of planned superchargers that don't exist yet. Who knows how long it could take, or whether they might change their mind. If they do end up constructing them, you can order then. If you could change your habits to stay overnight and find a place to charge overnight, that could work pretty well, but both parts of that sound like trouble.

As for Ohio->Myrtle Beach - looking at plugshare, maybe the way to do it is via I-75, instead of say I-71. Then use a CHAdeMO adapter for a couple of charges in TN to bridge the supercharger gap.

The lack of Superchargers on I-77 in West Virginia is a huge hole. I don't understand why a coal producing state like West Virginia is so anti-electric. Electric cars means power generation in coal fired power plants all around the region. That's good for business!

Yea, if you click on the 2016 button on the map and count the number of additional superchargers from now, they have to open up a new one like every 5 days. I just don't see that happening unless they really ramp up construction.