Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D, 85, or 85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, I'm really struggling with this decision. To keep the CFO happy (aka the wife), I'm trying to keep my car under 100k. With the eventual retirement of the 85 I'm now considering and comparing the two dual motor cars.

I suppose the real question should be: is the 85D (30 miles of range and 0.8 sec 0-60) worth the extra 10k over the 70D? I would love to hear from some 85D owners or there! Thanks!

If it were between a 70D+ lots of options, and an 85D with few options, I'd go for the 70D. Better value.
Now, you're in FL and probably don't need AWD a lot, so there's the 85 (RWD) also. It gets nearly the range of the 85D for $5k less, although now that's just a niche product for people with a frunk fetish. :)

I have the P85 and have over 30,000 miles seat time. If my choice today were to purchase my P85 or the AWD 70D, I'd likely go with the AWD 70D. I think the improved handling, in all road conditions, of the AWD would trump the slightly improved acceleration and trivially longer range.

I have a 100 mile commute (round trip) and a basic 120V plug at my parking spot at work. The 70D is perfect for me. Replacing a work horse Volt that's been problem free.

Would an 85 be better? Maybe, but it costs more and I would never concieveably utilize the major benefit of it, which is the range.

Don't forget there is solid value (and still a federal tax credit) when you buy inventory cars. If you are patient you can probably get almost exactly what you are looking for at a fair discount. Just be ready to pounce if one comes up, they don't last on the market long.

That is the issue I'm facing as well. 70D or 85 or 85D.... place order or buy inventory. If I went inventory, right now, the only choice is an 85 or 85D. Few 70D in inventory.

Bigger discounts on pre-Autopilot cars, so decision has to be made on Autopilot as well...

Frustrating to say the least.

I really appreciate everyone's input. Being in Florida the all wheel drive is not a necessity however it will help in the rain. I will test drive the 70 D in a couple days and start with that. My wife is starting to get into her menopause and I know she's going to have hot flashes and require that AC to be blasting which will certainly dent my range. that was the biggest reason I was considering the 85d for that additional range but I certainly will appreciate me additional performance!

The cars are essentially the same as you probably won't take advantage of the delta range between the three. I wouldn't even consider the S85, dual motor for the win. The next question is... do you really care about performance? I do, so I would go with the 85D. It is as fast as a 2008 M3 sedan! The torque is most likely more than 100 ft-lb higher than the 70D as well. Once you test drive you will realize that punching it from 0-45 is amazing and probably a large percentage of your driving. I am sure its different for everyone, but that is how I am comparing the models at this point. We need Motor trend to do a comparison to finally end the guessing on HP and Torque!

I have a 100 mile commute (round trip) and a basic 120V plug at my parking spot at work. The 70D is perfect for me. Replacing a work horse Volt that's been problem free.

Would an 85 be better? Maybe, but it costs more and I would never concieveably utilize the major benefit of it, which is the range.

Just saying that a 40 could make that commute without the needing the 120V at work. Either the one would work, it's just about what performance level you wish.

I got my S85 just before 70D announcement. It's possible that I would've gone with the 70D instead, but I love the stuffing out of my S85. I had gone back and forth (originally between 60 and 85 and then) between the 85 and the 85D and decided that the meager performance improvement, at the time, wasn't worth the extra cost, complexity, and loss of frunk space. The software update that shaved like a full second off of the 0-60 time stung a little, but at the end of the day it's just numbers. The S85 is already stupid quick and the fact that now it's the slowest option you can buy speaks volumes about how insane (heh) the performance on these cars has gotten.

I would buy an 85 RWD, it gets you more range and you can still click some options-checkboxes. Being in Florida you don't need AWD if you have good tires.

In practice I'm not sure that the 85D vs. the 85 is really that much of a difference in range. Good tires, pre cool/heat of the car and driving style will probably make more of an impact.

...the biggest reason I was considering the 85d for that additional range but I certainly will appreciate me additional performance!

Another thread had a link to an article showing that EPA tested range of 70D was actually 244mi, "voluntarily reduced to 240". So that reduces the range difference. KWh/100 miles is slightly better for 70D (33) than 85D (34) and much better than 85 (38), which means a little less operating cost.

I just ordered the 70D after debating these exact points myself.

With the distance between current superchargers, and my driving habits of the past three years (I plotted my routes that I use in various times of the year including winter when range is lowered), I simply couldn't find any situations where the 70's range was "borderline" and the 85's range would be an advantage. Either I'd need a supercharger stop, or I wouldn't. How much juice is left during that stop would be the main difference.

Sure, there might some day be a conceivable situation where I had to slow down or turn down the climate control to make it to the next SC station on a long drive - but not on any routes that I have done recently or anticipate doing. With more and more SC's popping up, the odds of this happening will actually decrease over time, rather than increase.

So, in the end, and for my purposes, the extra money would have been for performance that I don't need (not a track driver, just an everyday "stay on the safe side" driver!) and range that might make me feel better, but wouldn't change where I could or would drive. It's a very individual choice, but I think Tesla came up with a real winner in the 70D - it will cover a lot of people's range needs at a significant price discount vs the 85.

Besides performance and budgets, here's my take: AWD is a no-brainer if you live in snow country. But as an 85D owner, I really wish I had a bigger frunk. If storage is important to you and you don't need AWD, compare the frunk side by side before making a decision.