Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purple Metallic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While charging at the Fremont factory again tonight (a frequent tendency lately), I wandered off to the other side of the delivery center and saw what looked like a new purple Model S:

purple-model-s-01.png

The area was relatively dark with only the overhead LED parking lamps shining down. I figured I was mistaking it for the old blue, but right next to it was another one in the older blue (a color which I also own). This S85 pictured here certainly doesn't look like the new deep blue metallic since I've seen that one at night in this parking lot as well (although not tonight).

purple-model-s-02.png

purple-model-s-03.png

purple-model-s-04.png

Am I seeing things?

No, you're not seeing things. George RR Martin, author of Game of Thrones owns a deep metallic purple Model S. If this is a new delivery, then it's likely that someone copied him. George had the panels on his car sent away before production and custom painted. I heard it was something outrageous like $10,000. I never liked purple on a car. The only purple ones I've ever were in the rough parts of town. But this purple shows class, not flash.

Wow that is outrageous !

Do you all think I would spend that much money if I took my Silver to a paint shop and had it repainted purple?

Why is Tesla charging so much?

Probably because they can and they don't want people to exercise this option (they stopped offering it anyway). All of the panels had to be taken off the line and sent somewhere I believe so a logistical issue if too many people did this. If they ever offer something like this again the custom paint would probably be done in-house.

I don't see a front radar, the side ultrasonic sensors (hard to tell), or forward facing camera... ie: not a new car.

Edit: Given that and the "Zero Emissions" tag, maybe a CPO?

Probably because they can and they don't want people to exercise this option (they stopped offering it anyway). All of the panels had to be taken off the line and sent somewhere I believe so a logistical issue if too many people did this. If they ever offer something like this again the custom paint would probably be done in-house.

From what I understand they weren't sending cars out to be painted anymore with the most recent round of custom colors (which they've stopped again).

I happened to be at Fremont getting a charge before heading over to Monterrey, just before TMC Connect in July 2014.
And that car was delivered to its owner on the evening before the conference started.

Several of us had wandered inside the waiting area, soon the buzz was about this Purple painted Tesla.
Some of us sneaked a peek and were shooed away from it as it sat cordoned off inside in a sequestered area in the rear, on the right side past the Receptionist desk.

Finally it appeared from behind the garage doors, and drove away.
Yet it showed up again much later to get a Supercharge.

A couple of interesting details:
It seems the owner must be a Tesla employee, as a group of Tesla employees were on hand and congratulated the new owner.
In addition to the car having a very cool paint color, it also had a distintive paint job: completely painted chin spoiler, sill/rocker panels under the doors, the rear fairing and skirt.
All were painted very deep purple.
Oh, and the dash was painted the same color: deepest purple.

This was also the first Model S I had seen with Black Alcantera headliner (it was not listed as an Option at that time).

I do have some photos, can post them later.

This occurred during the beginning of the time period that TM was about to shut down and re-organize its production line, so it might have just gotten slipped into the scheduling and not upset production of [a lot of] other cars.

I happened to be at Fremont getting a charge before heading over to Monterrey, just before TMC Connect in July 2014.
And that car was delivered to its owner on the evening before the conference started.

Several of us had wandered inside the waiting area, soon the buzz was about this Purple painted Tesla.
Some of us sneaked a peek and were shooed away from it as it sat cordoned off inside in a sequestered area in the rear, on the right side past the Receptionist desk.

Finally it appeared from behind the garage doors, and drove away.
Yet it showed up again much later to get a Supercharge.

A couple of interesting details:
It seems the owner must be a Tesla employee, as a group of Tesla employees were on hand and congratulated the new owner.
In addition to the car having a very cool paint color, it also had a distintive paint job: completely painted chin spoiler, sill/rocker panels under the doors, the rear fairing and skirt.
All were painted very deep purple.
Oh, and the dash was painted the same color: deepest purple.

This was also the first Model S I had seen with Black Alcantera headliner (it was not listed as an Option at that time).

I do have some photos, can post them later.

This occurred during the beginning of the time period that TM was about to shut down and re-organize its production line, so it might have just gotten slipped into the scheduling and not upset production of [a lot of] other cars.

I was about to post the same thing.

Interesting that it has the "as new" Zero emission paper plate on the back, and a temp registration in the front windshield like it is a brand new car.
Maybe it was a factory owned car, and they sold it to someone?