Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Crossover Confirmed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't really see anything new but agree with @clarkbariowa this is first i have seen anything that mentioned specific Model 3 models (sedan/crossover). That being said, the slides provide no details about timing nor mention that a crossover will be first out of the gate etc. etc...

Since i have officially kicked off the Model 3 savings account, any news is great news

It only makes sense after developing the platform to build a variety of models on it, just as they did with the Models S and X. Industry practice.

What struck me on that video was that his talk was the only one that made any sense. The rest were practically incomprehensible, making assertions that are hard to defend, whether they were on car sharing, fool cells, or the future prospects of PHEVs.

Did you look at the slides? The supercharger slide says "Free long-range driving for MODEL S customers."

There is no way to "pay at the pump" with existing superchargers. However, they may be able to know who's car is charging and meter energy usage. So I could see maybe having a system where Model E customers can be billed for supercharger usage. I actually think that would be reasonable. One of the goals of the Model E is to keep the price down. So it makes sense not to build in the cost of supercharger use into the purchase price of the car.

There is no way to "pay at the pump" with existing superchargers. However, they may be able to know who's car is charging and meter energy usage. So I could see maybe having a system where Model E customers can be billed for supercharger usage. I actually think that would be reasonable. One of the goals of the Model E is to keep the price down. So it makes sense not to build in the cost of supercharger use into the purchase price of the car.

I believe it would be wise to have it as a $2,000 option (just like the '60' use to be). This keeps the base model price down. I can easily envision the base car being $35K but if outfitted with all the 'bells and whistles' easily approaching $50+K. It will be inline (price wise) with a 3 series beamer.

From the context the slide is in, I think that it is summarizing the situation today. After all, I doubt that Model X customers will have a supercharging payment model very different from the Model S.

I agree, I really noticed this because of the other thread (I forget which one I read so many) where it was being discussed the sustainability of free supercharging for life.

It just looked to me like it was specifically spelled out as MS in that slide, perhaps it was to avoid confusion with superchargers for Roadsters.

I agree, I really noticed this because of the other thread (I forget which one I read so many) where it was being discussed the sustainability of free supercharging for life.

Are you talking about the Tesla Supercharger Network thread where I posted this:

Not sure if this is too generic of a thread to put this in, but did anyone see this video and hear what JB said about paying a fee in the future?

So we know Elon has said the network will be free even for Model 3 owners and JB be says this phase in would happen after a million cars....so it seems they have had discussions in private about when to flip the fee on.

Skip to around 13:20.

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt the Model 3 will parallel the S and X.

Although I have to say I was hoping for a 2dr coupe S or 3.

-J

I think there will definately be a coupe version of the Model 3. Would be silly not to. I really want a convertible version which is a bit more of a stretch. Now as to the Model S coupe or convertible I think that is much less likely but remotely possible.

The point of Model 3 is to appeal to the largest number of buyers. Family sedans and CUVs are the best bet. The more radical version later on might offer new models though, if they can fit a new body line in a factory already at capacity.

I have no doubt the sedan will be first followed by the CUV but I think the coupe and convertible will follow that shortly. And MAY possibly be introduced at the same time. Getting variants of the Model S out dont seem to take a huge amount of time compared to the initial car.

I have no doubt the sedan will be first followed by the CUV but I think the coupe and convertible will follow that shortly. And MAY possibly be introduced at the same time. Getting variants of the Model S out dont seem to take a huge amount of time compared to the initial car.
In fairness though, none of the S variants have body panel changes.
Going from sedan to coupe or convertible is rather more involved.