Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request: Auto-close sunroof when rain is detected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am reminded of the guy in Arizona that had a backyard observotry that he built so that it would basically run itself. So while he was sleeping the scope would slew to the appropriate location, take some data and then repeat on a whole list of targets.

Being concerned about rain he also added a rain sensor that, upon detecting rain would lower the scope, turn off the camera and, most importantly, close the roof.

Worked fine most of the time but occasionally the system sensed rain and shut everything down and closed the roof when there was no rain.

After much troubleshooting and hanging out at the observatory at night he discovered the problem. Every now and then a bug or ant would land on or crawl across the sensor and the system interpreted that as rain.

So when Tesla adds a rain detector it needs to be computer bug proof and biological bug proof too. :)

With all this autopilot tech, why not have a Guard Dog mode? The long range radar can detect any intruders and the car can then aggressively chase them around the property while honking the horn and flashing the high beams until they leave. To warn off potential intruders, a "threatening stance" can be activated by combining an open trunk and alternately blinking DRLs...

With all this autopilot tech, why not have a Guard Dog mode? The long range radar can detect any intruders and the car can then aggressively chase them around the property while honking the horn and flashing the high beams until they leave. To warn off potential intruders, a "threatening stance" can be activated by combining an open trunk and alternately blinking DRLs...

Didn't Stephen King write a documentary about this?

This feature suggestion is a LOT less silly than many of the posts that one sees here. Maybe you folks who live out west have forgotten what real summer thunder storms are like in your current drought? If you do see the value in it, be sure to vote for it on teslatap.com

OP is right though, the existing algorithm for the auto-sensing wiper speed intervals is not great. If we rely on that sensor to manage the sunroof, too, we might end up with some interesting results! :D

I do like the idea. All cars that have both a sunroof and rain-sensing wipers would be smart to add this functionality. I don't even have the option (not a fan of them) and I think they should try and get it in a software update!