Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension - adjustable for height only or is ride quality adjustable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P85 from August 2013 must have a "sport" suspension because I can feel every groove and detail in the road surface. When I drive over some expansion joints, I feel like I'm hitting a pothole. I have the air suspension but would still appreciate a setting for a softer and smoother ride. I don't believe the Tesla air suspension is capable of doing this. If it is, Tesla please give me some options! :)

No it isn't adjustable. That's one reason why we just went the coils. There has never been a time we had to raise any of our previous cars. While the ride is definitely sporty, the coils do a pretty good job at dampening the bumps. If there were modes for comfort, normal, and sport, they'd be totally worth it for us.

I specifically went for coils because air tech is decades old, it's not new, it's not different, and it's only really useful for showing off that you can control the ride height. Also, it's incredibly expensive to repair out of warranty (for all vehicles). Had Tesla used something like magnetic ride control, I would have been on board.

My P85 from August 2013 must have a "sport" suspension because I can feel every groove and detail in the road surface. When I drive over some expansion joints, I feel like I'm hitting a pothole. I have the air suspension but would still appreciate a setting for a softer and smoother ride. I don't believe the Tesla air suspension is capable of doing this. If it is, Tesla please give me some options! :)

what tires/wheels are you rolling with?
i felt every grove, line bumps with the old car. With MS everything feel so soft.

what tires/wheels are you rolling with?
i felt every grove, line bumps with the old car. With MS everything feel so soft.

I have the 19" Primacy tires. My Model S air suspension feels quite harsh compared to other vehicles that I've ridden in, including a cheap-ass Kia. I'm not quite sure what to make of this. It felt this way from day one. Loaners also feel the same way. It's definitely not a smooth Lexus type of ride.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I find my suspension to be slightly softer at standard height vs. low on my P85D. I also have 19" wheels and recently drove a P85D loaner with 21" wheels. It was a much, much rougher ride. And more noise too (which was surprising). But I did like the very cool look! :)