Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Hartsville SC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm meeting some in-laws here for an annual get-together....and I'd like to drive my Model S. I'll head down 95, fill up at Lumberton....then about 80 miles to Hartsville. Luckily there 'seems to be' a public EV charger about 2 miles from my hotel, in Centennial Park.

Anyone ever use this thing? ....or can confirm its existence?
I do see checkins etc on PlugShare.

I've had my Model S almost a year,,,,and frankly this will be the first time I've used super chargers, or public charging...so I'm a bit skittish.

Anyway....let me know if anyone has used this thing.
Thanks all.

So I'm meeting some in-laws here for an annual get-together....and I'd like to drive my Model S. I'll head down 95, fill up at Lumberton....then about 80 miles to Hartsville. Luckily there 'seems to be' a public EV charger about 2 miles from my hotel, in Centennial Park.

Anyone ever use this thing? ....or can confirm its existence?
I do see checkins etc on PlugShare.

I've had my Model S almost a year,,,,and frankly this will be the first time I've used super chargers, or public charging...so I'm a bit skittish.

Anyway....let me know if anyone has used this thing.
Thanks all.

Plugshare also shows a NEMA 15-40 outlet at Hartsville Regional Airport which might provide more current and/or act as a backup plan. The outlet has a 50 amp breaker, so you might get more juice out of it than from J1772 at Fifth Street parking lot.

Thanks Robert,
Yes, it's not far enough from the SC where I'd absolutely have to charge....which gives me some peace of mind. I have called that phone number a few times, and no answer. Oh well. There have been a few check-ins at the charger, and I've seen pics of a motorcycle, and some other little EV charging....so it seems legit.

- - - Updated - - -

The fifth street parking lot is ideal. I'm staying with a bunch of in-laws about 2 miles up the road from there, so I'd ideally drop my car there overnight, and have someone just pick me up, and take me to the motel. I did see the plug at the airport, which I'll likely avoid. Worst case, I won't charge while in town, and just bum rides...which is fine. I can likely find a 120v at our motel anyway, so that is a partial backup plan. I feel like this EV charger will be available though....so, lots of options.....sort of.:frown:

Thanks Robert,
Yes, it's not far enough from the SC where I'd absolutely have to charge....which gives me some peace of mind. I have called that phone number a few times, and no answer. Oh well. There have been a few check-ins at the charger, and I've seen pics of a motorcycle, and some other little EV charging....so it seems legit.

- - - Updated - - -

The fifth street parking lot is ideal. I'm staying with a bunch of in-laws about 2 miles up the road from there, so I'd ideally drop my car there overnight, and have someone just pick me up, and take me to the motel. I did see the plug at the airport, which I'll likely avoid. Worst case, I won't charge while in town, and just bum rides...which is fine. I can likely find a 120v at our motel anyway, so that is a partial backup plan. I feel like this EV charger will be available though....so, lots of options.....sort of.:frown:

Another, probably simpler, option is to ask the motel or your in-laws if they have a 3-prong outlet you can use. 16 hours on 120V/12A will add 50 rated miles. That may be all the comfort that you need. Also charging to 96% instead of 80% at the Supercharger will take you another 30-40 minutes, but will add another 40+ rated miles. That last 4% (10 rated miles) from 96% to 100% take forever and are probably not worth the wait.

Another, probably simpler, option is to ask the motel or your in-laws if they have a 3-prong outlet you can use. 16 hours on 120V/12A will add 50 rated miles. That may be all the comfort that you need. Also charging to 96% instead of 80% at the Supercharger will take you another 30-40 minutes, but will add another 40+ rated miles. That last 4% (10 rated miles) from 96% to 100% take forever and are probably not worth the wait.

+1. This has been my preferred method of travel for most of my long-distance trips: use superchargers en route, "top off" each night at my destination hotel (confirming a plug in advance of course), and my daily driving is typically more than covered by what I gain overnight. I've also made a point of adding each hotel where I've successfully charged to PlugShare, with a note to call ahead and confirm first, so future EV travelers will have an incrementally easier time. I think that's particularly valuable in an area with relatively few posted places to charge (like Hartsville).

Also, after you've successfully made the trip at least once and gotten comfortable with destination charging at that specific location, that extra buffer at the final supercharger will be less critical, saving you potentially 30+ minutes in future years. When I'm traveling somewhere unfamiliar, I tend to be very conservative with charging, likely waiting much longer than I really need to at the supercharger. But on a repeat trip where I know the destination charging well (mostly Pittsburgh and central NJ for me), it's a no-brainer, and I'm comfortable with supercharging en route only long enough to take a snack and/or bathroom break.

As it happens, I visited Hartsville about a week after I got my S85 -- my daughter lives there. She was amazed to learn that there's a public J1772 charging plug in the parking lot next to Centennial Park downtown. (Who knew Hartsville had reached the 21st century?) Go to chargepoint.com, select "find stations" at the top, type in "Hartsville SC"; it's also listed at plugshare.com. Get a coffee or two at the Midnight Rooster.
DSC_2138a.jpg
DSC_2140a.jpg

Just got off the phone with the motel, and they have multiple 120v outlets for use, and they have overnight camper spots with 30amp hookups. I feel like I've looked into the 30amp hookup before,,,and it wasn't a great option,,but nevertheless, a 120v will do.
So I should be good to go....and my mind is at ease!

ajw -- I did indeed charge there. That was the first time I used the J1442 adapter, so I fumbled around a little but it all worked just fine. It's only 75 miles from the Lumberton SC, so even a couple hours charge here would put you back on the SC matrix from an almost-expired battery.

Just got off the phone with the motel, and they have multiple 120v outlets for use, and they have overnight camper spots with 30amp hookups. I feel like I've looked into the 30amp hookup before,,,and it wasn't a great option,,but nevertheless, a 120v will do.
So I should be good to go....and my mind is at ease!

For the 30A camper spots, those outlets are called TT-30 (travel trailer). They are 120V 30A. There is an adapter that you can get from a third party to use your Tesla charging cable with it. A regular outdoor wall outlet would be on a 20A circuit probably, so if you have that Tesla adapter you could get 16A or if you are using your standard one, it would be limited to 12A (from the adapter thinking it's a 15A circuit). With the TT-30 adapter, you can use 24A, so you would get about twice as fast charging from that as from a regular outlet. Here is the link to the TT-30 adapter from EVSEadapters.com. You plug your 14-50 into it, and turn down the charge current in the car to 24A before plugging in to the power.
NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P RV Plug Adapter

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I just noticed there is now a version of that TT-30 adapter that is a cord with a 90 degree plug, so it doesn't have as much weight putting strain on the outlet and plug.
http://www.evseadapters.com/tesla?product_id=81