Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85 vs 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I'm debating between the model S 85 and the 85D, I have found two options which are around 6k apart. Basically I'm paying the additional 6k for the Dual motors and the latest hardware per the Tesla Sales rep. I plan to keep the car for 3-5 years depending on the redesign of the Model S and drive around 18k per year. Which option would you guys recommend?

Model S 85D for 90,473 USD
autopilot, tech package
dual drive motor
solid black paint, piano black decor, black napa leather seats
panoramic roof
subzero weather package, heated steering wheel
parcel shelf (not sure what this is?)
19' Michelin primacy tire upgrade
fog lamps

Model S 85 for 84,749 USD
autopilot, tech package
dual chargers
solid black paint, obeche wood decor, black napa leather seats
panoramic roof
subzero weather package
19' silver cyclones

In Miami the dual motors would likely be less useful but would still prefer to have AWD then not. Although since you plan to keep the car a short time might make sense to go with standard 85 and wait for the redesign of want.

This is a great question. I'm in the same boat. I'm worried about the 85 RWD being obsolete the day after I take ownership. because of this, I'm looking at a loaded 70D and the 85D with less options. Are you concerned about that?

Fortunately, I'm months away from ordering. I expect Tesla to eliminate the S85 which will force my hand! And, who knows what else will be available in a couple months based on how fast Tesla moves!

Hi Guys,

I'm debating between the model S 85 and the 85D, I have found two options which are around 6k apart. Basically I'm paying the additional 6k for the Dual motors and the latest hardware per the Tesla Sales rep. I plan to keep the car for 3-5 years depending on the redesign of the Model S and drive around 18k per year. Which option would you guys recommend?

Model S 85D for 90,473 USD
autopilot, tech package
dual drive motor
solid black paint, piano black decor, black napa leather seats
panoramic roof
subzero weather package, heated steering wheel
parcel shelf (not sure what this is?)
19' Michelin primacy tire upgrade
fog lamps

Model S 85 for 84,749 USD
autopilot, tech package
dual chargers
solid black paint, obeche wood decor, black napa leather seats
panoramic roof
subzero weather package
19' silver cyclones

Where is the "tech package"? I can't find it. I see the auto pilot convenience features - is that what you're calling the tech package?

Where is the "tech package"? I can't find it. I see the auto pilot convenience features - is that what you're calling the tech package?
Looking at the numbers (...473 and ...749), he's comparing inventory cars not custom configuration from the website. As such, he's probably talking about cars configured before the recent changes to the website.

What used to be the "Tech Package" (later renamed "Tech Package with Autopilot") has been split into standard equipment, "Autopilot Convenience Features" option package, and "Premium Interior and Lighting" option package.

Hope this helps.