Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait... Wait... Don't tell me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how to post audio, but I was just listening to my podcast for October 9th's episode. One of the lightning round questions was about the Tesla Roadster.

I'm paraphrasing, but:
Q: Tesla is now selling electric cars across the country, but the only problem is that when they stop working <blank>.
A: You have to pay to fly a mechanic from California to fix it.

Not exactly correct.

I'm paraphrasing, but:
Q: Tesla is now selling electric cars across the country, but the only problem is that when they stop working <blank>.
A: You have to pay to fly a mechanic from California to fix it.

Not exactly correct.

It's not exactly correct, but it's pretty close. If you live outside of the handful of metro areas, you have to pay $1/mile, roundtrip, for Tesla service to travel to your location. It's been a source of irritation for owners who got cars with factory defects that are very expensive to get fixed because of the travel cost.

At least I'm assuming they still charge this fee. Has anyone paid the Tesla Ranger fee recently?

Still, I'm surprised WWDTM didn't have something better to mock. How about the cost of Ferrari maintenance for an owner 500 miles from the nearest Ferrari dealer?

It's not exactly correct, but it's pretty close. If you live outside of the handful of metro areas, you have to pay $1/mile, roundtrip, for Tesla service to travel to your location. It's been a source of irritation for owners who got cars with factory defects that are very expensive to get fixed because of the travel cost.

At least I'm assuming they still charge this fee. Has anyone paid the Tesla Ranger fee recently?

It's my understanding that things covered under warranty don't incur travel charges. At least, that's what I was told by my sales rep.

It's my understanding that things covered under warranty don't incur travel charges. At least, that's what I was told by my sales rep.

That was definitely not the case when that policy was first announced. If your car had a warranty issue and you lived outside of the official service areas, you had to either pay the Tesla Ranger fee or pay to ship your car to the nearest service location and back.

If that's a factor in your purchase decision, be sure to get a statement in writing.

Tesla is doing the recall fix on my car on Wednesday, and will also de-fog my headlamp at the same time. 400km from store and they didn't ask for money.

They're also talking about doing a loop around several cities for the annual service, so that multiple owners can share the cost of the round trip.