Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From NY to Dubai P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shipped on 6th of march and arrived in 17th of april and the Battery had 18 miles left.

it was 68% when it was loaded.

here are some pictures after a car wash and cleaning

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image4.JPG

image3.JPG

Well done Fares, she's a beauty and definitely the coolest 4 wheels in Dubai right now.

I have been in contact with Zurich Insurance to see if they're willing to give me full comp. insurance. If it all works out I may take your advice and wait until the 30th before placing an order in case they really do come up with a P110D that does 0-60 in 2.8.

When you connect your phone to the car, does google maps and the internet radio work ok?

Alex

I believe that if you disconnect the 12V under the hood, in front of the passenger seat, it will stop any use of the 12V battery, but better yet, the car will not connect the big HV relay inside the battery and disable all vampire drain.

18 miles left in the batter was cutting it pretty close.

Have you tried a GSM WiFi hotspot for data connectivity while driving?

That's a long trip for "Ranger" service; probably more than $100 per event...

Wow an 85D right here in Dubai! Congratulations it looks awesome.

Have you experienced a reduction in range because of the extreme heat we're in? My understanding is that lithium ion batteries degrade quickly in high temperatures.

Have you experienced a reduction in range because of the extreme heat we're in? My understanding is that lithium ion batteries degrade quickly in high temperatures.

Valid question but, not an issue with Tesla battery packs as they are liquid-cooled; the Model S has a very capable Battery Management System that keeps the battery pack in a safe operating range as far as temperature goes. It's held up well in hot, desert climes in the US.

Here's a relevant thread: Phoenix Heat

Last edited:
Fares:

Nicely done!

what is your plan for charging your presumably US spec Model S outside the USA? J1772?

I ask b/c I am considering sending a 70D to Greece at some point and will have to deal with this myself eventually.

Fares:

Nicely done!

what is your plan for charging your presumably US spec Model S outside the USA? J1772?

I ask b/c I am considering sending a 70D to Greece at some point and will have to deal with this myself eventually.

The charging options for a U.S. Spec car will not be good in Europe. You can buy a 32 A Type 2 to Type 1 cable and charge at 20 miles range per hour at "22 kW" Type 2 charge points, or 10 mph at 11 kW charge points. You can also make adapters to use your U.S. Spec UMC at up to 20 mph. Supercharging will be impossible.

I would sell the U.S. Spec car before you leave and get a Euro spec car, perhaps a pre-owned one. I think it would be well worth any extra expense.

GSP

The charging options for a U.S. Spec car will not be good in Europe. You can buy a 32 A Type 2 to Type 1 cable and charge at 20 miles range per hour at "22 kW" Type 2 charge points, or 10 mph at 11 kW charge points. You can also make adapters to use your U.S. Spec UMC at up to 20 mph. Supercharging will be impossible.

I would sell the U.S. Spec car before you leave and get a Euro spec car, perhaps a pre-owned one. I think it would be well worth any extra expense.

GSP

Wonder if the owner of the Dubai car (and Tesla) would be interested in buying a 60kW SC.

Apparently there have been two sold to private parties. Here's the article of the one sold in Sweden.

Wonder if the owner of the Dubai car (and Tesla) would be interested in buying a 60kW SC.

Apparently there have been two sold to private parties. Here's the article of the one sold in Sweden.

I don't think he would need that here. DEWA (Dubai Electricity and Water Authority) is already in the process of installing about 100 high and medium speed chargers in and around Dubai, and the driving distances in the UAE are withing the P85D range. I bet his longest drive will be from his home to Dubai Mall on Thursday night, right Fares? :)

Article from yesterday: Dewa receives first registration for Green Vehicle Charger - Khaleej Times