Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fee to sell car on eBay motors? Anyone use it recently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone used eBay motors recently to sell a car? I'm trying to figure out the total fee expected after selling a car on there.

From what I understand, there is a breakdown fee for listing and if the car sells:

ebay.PNG

Fees for selling on eBay Motors

But isn't there also a fraction of the final selling price that they also take as a fee? I can't find that "rate" or "amount" for eBay motors.

Does payment also have to go through PayPal, which will take a large chunk?

Has anyone used eBay motors recently to sell a car? I'm trying to figure out the total fee expected after selling a car on there.

From what I understand, there is a breakdown fee for listing and if the car sells:

View attachment 78728

Fees for selling on eBay Motors

But isn't there also a fraction of the final selling price that they also take as a fee? I can't find that "rate" or "amount" for eBay motors.

Does payment also have to go through PayPal, which will take a large chunk?

People list "cash payment, you collect" all the time. Used car sales listing is too competitive a market for ebay to apply their regular rules.
In any case, $60 of $2,000 is 3%. They're still taking a fair chunk.

eBay Motors sales on vehicles have always been a flat-fee. No one would list an auto with eBay if they charged you the same 10% seller's fee that they charge on general auction items. You will pay their $60 or $125 fee if the car is:

- Listed with Buy It Now Price and someone takes that price
- Listed with Buy it Now Price and Make Offer and you accept an offer
- Listed as auction format with a reserve price and the bidding reaches the reserve price
- Listed as a no-reserve auction and you receive a single bid

The fee used to be a flat $100 fee for all auto/motorcycle auctions (not certain about the under 50cc Powersports category though). Guess they've lowered their flat-fee for low-value vehicles and marginally raised it for most transactions.

For high dollar items like this that you may not find a valid buyer right away on (cars/motorcycles and aircraft avionics are two categories I've sold that fit this) I like listing them with a Buy it Now and Make Offer. Set the BIN price at the price that you would sell immediately, no questions asked. You likely won't get this prices, but it's good to put out there to give buyers an idea of what you're after. Set the Make Offer options to automatically reject the people that aren't serious buyers (offering 50% of the expected selling price), possibly auto-accept people that are within a couple thousand of your BIN price. You definitely want to have eBay automatically filter out the low-ball offers with this type of auction. For a 2008 Big Dog Mastiff that I sold in 2010 on eBay for $17,200, I had received many offers for less than $10k from people that obviously weren't really interested in purchasing the motorcycle. Better to let eBay automatically filter those than have to deal with them yourself.

Regarding PayPal, many people will handle the $500-$1,000 deposit through PayPal, which will have a ~$30 service fee for a $1,000 payment. The balance of the payment would be done via some other method (cash, wire transfer, whatever you feel safe accepting and not getting ripped off). Just include in the auction listing how you expect to get paid for the vehicle. You don't want to pay the PayPal service fee on the full purchase price for a vehicle.

Prior to $100 flat-fee, it was $40 flat-fee, when I sold my bucket truck. Paypal deposit, cash for keys - or personal/cashier's check, but I hold for 10 biz days. That's pretty typical.

Very few times have I been more nervous in my life than carrying the cash halfway across the country to pay for my 1965 GTO because the seller didn't want to deal with cashier's checks. I'm guessing he didn't claim income on that transaction. :)

Prior to $100 flat-fee, it was $40 flat-fee, when I sold my bucket truck. Paypal deposit, cash for keys - or personal/cashier's check, but I hold for 10 biz days. That's pretty typical.

Very few times have I been more nervous in my life than carrying the cash halfway across the country to pay for my 1965 GTO because the seller didn't want to deal with cashier's checks. I'm guessing he didn't claim income on that transaction. :)
So how much did you carry? The most I carried was $80k. Ex Brother n Law struck it good. Talented Poker player. He needed someone to transport the funds :) So I flew in, and was his body guard and bank for a few days, then returned home. Security at the airport wanted me to put the wad of cash through the x-ray machine. I told them they were nuts and walked right through..... The security guard started throwing a fuss, but I kept walking, and his manager said just let him go. I didn't bring bags with me. Just me, cloths on my back, and my wallet, cellphone, and charger in my back pocket.