Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 Left (or right) tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. Are the factory Michelin Primacy tires different for the left side vs right side of the car? I know they are asymmetric and all 4 of mine properly say "outside" on the side that faces out.

But here's the weird thing: The treads don't point in the same direction on the left vs right.
If I stand on the left side the horizontal channel in the tread pattern goes inward and then curves towards the front of the car.
If I stand on the right side, the opposite is true. Horizontal channel goes inward and then curves to the REAR.

This means all 4 tires are identical.

I am not experienced with car tires, but I showed this to two friends, both more "car guys" than I am. They both thought it was odd.

Thoughts?

FYI my winters are the same. They look to be asymmetrical (the factory winters that Tesla sells), and all 4 have identical patterns.

So either this is normal (although seemingly weird), or I have two sets of tires that are both wrong (possible, but seems like a super rare thing to happen)

I wondered the same thing when I removed my winters and installed my Primacys. I thought it was strange but they all seem to have the outside facing the right way so I left it at that. I looked for a rotation direction arrow but didn't see one (doesn't mean it's not there). Hmmmmm

Thanks, that's a good read but it doesn't mention if directional tires have a left and right. I think I'll go see the service center this week and ask about it.

Yeah, I will be asking also. But remember our tires are not directional. They are asymmetrical. And I have not figured out if asym has a left/right, but from the article it seems like they do not, which means all is normal. It just seems weird to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I just found this:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/suspension-wheels/134323711-confused-asymmetrical-tires.html

The poster seemed to have the same confusion as I did, and it seems like it's totally fine for the tread pattern to be in an opposite direction on asymmetrical tires. I checked my Primacy tires and they have absolutel NO "left" or "right" labeling on the sidewall.

I guess the deal is the large blocks of contact area are on the outside of the tire. That's what matters. The outside blocks are not there for water displacement - that's what the inside portion of the tire does.

Feeling a bit more educated :)

Asymmetrical tires are different from inside to outside. Tread pattern directional tires typically have a "V" type tread pattern and are meant to rotate in one way (the arrows point in the forward direction). Casing directional tires are mounted so that the arrows point towards each other at the top on a rear wheel drive car or away from each other on a front wheel drive car. Tires that are both asymmetrical and casing directional have an A and a B tire and are rotated in an "X" pattern. (Note that it's unlikely you will encounter casing directional tires unless you are into motor-sports.)