Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential owner here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I'm from N. Central MA, about 45 min NW of Boston, just below the NH line. I'm in IT, for the local power and gas company, and my commute is 44 miles/day round trip. 40 of that is all highway, sooooo I'm leaning heavily towards a Model S, and all the excuses I've had so far for not getting one are dwindling.

I now live in a townhouse, where I can have 240V run for a HPWC.
I now make enough money where it's not too cost-prohibitive, but an actual good investment.
The wife has an ICE Subie wagon that gets 36mpg, just in case.
Her family is from Central VA (near Farmville), and we would now be in SC range. (my FIL has even offered to put a 240V outlet outdoors on a pole for our visits.)
With SC expansion coming through PA and down 81 and 64 in VA, we'd have multiple ways in and out.
We have many friends in the Norfolk/VA Beach area...and right now, we could get there, but would have to find a ChaDEMO once we arrive. Once the SC goes in...that would really be my last remaining obstacle.

So now I need to start researching trade values....
Who does TMC contract with to work on trade-ins? I have a 2015 Audi A3 sedan (which I love.....), but clearly the Model S would be better. And oddly, bigger and more practical in some ways.

Welcome! Sounds like you are pretty well set up for it. I will say that you are probably going to be disappointed with a trade-in offer for your Audi. You will be able to get a good bit more selling it yourself, but up to you.

As for the charging situation in Norfolk and Virginia Beach, if you haven't already, I highly recommend every electric vehicle owner get familiar with Plugshare.com. It lists most public charging places, and also electric vehicle owners who are sharing their chargers and outlets, which is sometimes a great opportunity. I have gotten to meet Tesla owners from three different states who have traveled through and charged at my house, and I've gotten to use someone's charger on a trip I did. It was great fun getting to meet them and talk for a while. People sharing their chargers on Plugshare are generally doing it because they do want to be helpful and make things easier for other electric car travelers. Since you have friends in the area, that could certainly work out well to have them meet you to drop your car off to charge and go out for dinner. I also do see on Plugshare that there are a lot of CHAdeMO chargers in the area as well.

A Model S is a lot of things, but it's not "an actual good investment". It's a depreciating asset, just as any other car. It will be worth less as soon as it's delivered to you and will continue losing value over time. That's ok as long as you buy it to use it rather than to trade it in soon, and it continues to meet your needs as Tesla comes out with better models every few months.

1st post, new here too hey Nerd fellow nerd here lol hope you don't mind me hopping into your thread :) similar story here but closer to my city center so it probably makes even more sense for me. I've got access to power too but if I move downtown (which I had been considering) I'd have to figure it out.

TexasEV makes a very important point about the "continuous improvement" way of doing things, which is a blessing but also a curse to technophiles as there is always going to be new hardware features and tweaks (that may or may not be able to be retrofitted). Compared to the conventional "model year" mentality in the car biz this is another game-changer. Everything is so new that one small change might possibly even change the lifespan of the car.

But this is perhaps the biggest dilemma for me... 2003 with 85 batt or a new 70D for (quite a bit, really) more ? I've always bought slightly used in the past, but the Model S seems to scream "get a latest build" to nerds like me. But even if it is not as fast or can travel as long a distance ? ack.

As for the car's value as an asset, after the shortage the car seems to now depreciate like other luxury cars -- perhaps (probably, really) more for the reasons above, than the conventional reasons... ??? I haven't checked out the forum much yet but I'm very much looking forward to long term reports from owners. Is there any sign of wear after 100,000 kms and more ? Can this thing last to 1 million miles with maintenance ??

It's a whole new game, for me that's one of the most compelling reasons. Almost everything is different, except for that, ultimately "it's just a car" as Jerry Seinfeld says.

But this is perhaps the biggest dilemma for me... 2003 with 85 batt or a new 70D for (quite a bit, really) more ? I've always bought slightly used in the past, but the Model S seems to scream "get a latest build" to nerds like me. But even if it is not as fast or can travel as long a distance ? ack.

As for the car's value as an asset, after the shortage the car seems to now depreciate like other luxury cars -- perhaps (probably, really) more for the reasons above, than the conventional reasons... ??? I haven't checked out the forum much yet but I'm very much looking forward to long term reports from owners. Is there any sign of wear after 100,000 kms and more ? Can this thing last to 1 million miles with maintenance ??

It's a whole new game, for me that's one of the most compelling reasons. Almost everything is different, except for that, ultimately "it's just a car" as Jerry Seinfeld says.

My current car is a 2015 A3...so I know I am going to take a hit on it. But it has fun stuff like 4G hotspot and other gadget-y nerd stuff. That's a huge draw for me and Teslas. In a way though, I'm a little worried about buying before the GigaFactory goes online. I'm sure they'll make advances in battery and range, and then I'll be left behind.

Getting a new cell phone every 12-18 months is one thing, but not as easy to do with cars.....

- - - Updated - - -

What's this about obstacles? ;-)
Supercharger - Norfolk, VA

P.S. Welcome to TMC!

I'm familiar with the JANAF area. That wouldn't be too bad either. They've cleaned it up quite a bit in recent years.

also, as of this morning... Supercharge.info has the blue dot for Norfolk! http://supercharge.info

Well, I'll add a comment. I now have what I like to call one of the "old, slow, blind" ones, a Dec 2013 non-P build with a single motor and no autopilot. As autopilot came out and recently the D, I admit to thinking wow, depreciation city! But when I bought this car in Jan 2014 my rationale was that it would be my "permanent car" (partly because it's 3x what I've ever spent on a car before, more than my first two houses, only by investing in Tesla stock at a reasonably fortuitous time were we able to even get close to the purchase price, and I expect the car to be relatively maintenance-free [touch wood]). And when I think about it, I still have a car that goes 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, corners like a dream, has more storage than any other vehicle I've owned, and is waaaaay more fun to drive.

The depreciation: my last car, our first "luxury" car, was bought 1.5 years old for about half price (2007 Infiniti M35). When I sold it in perfect shape to get the S, I was initially expecting a bit less than half again. But no, could only drag $9,000CDN out of a broker. So I learned luxury car depreciation is absolutely a fact of life. I think you're right, the Model S depreciates for a different reason, but I'm actually kind of proud of that, given how much Tesla is turning the industry on its head, and the overall mission.

So when I force myself to realize what I've still got, it makes the what I don't have far far less important. There are still little software improvements that just show up several times a year overnight. It still is quicker, quieter, smoother, more efficient, and costs far less to fuel than just about any other car on the road. Including all the $130,000+ ICEs.

So one can wait, to get the better later. But that means losing out permanently on the joy you could have by taking the plunge, because better will never stop. And for me, each month of ownership drives up the joy factor even more. I thought I was happiest a month after purchase; to my amazement, instead it just keeps increasing.

FWIW, one man's opinion. Cheers!

Well, I'll add a comment. I now have what I like to call one of the "old, slow, blind" ones, a Dec 2013 non-P build with a single motor and no autopilot. As autopilot came out and recently the D, I admit to thinking wow, depreciation city! But when I bought this car in Jan 2014 my rationale was that it would be my "permanent car" (partly because it's 3x what I've ever spent on a car before, more than my first two houses, only by investing in Tesla stock at a reasonably fortuitous time were we able to even get close to the purchase price, and I expect the car to be relatively maintenance-free [touch wood]). And when I think about it, I still have a car that goes 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, corners like a dream, has more storage than any other vehicle I've owned, and is waaaaay more fun to drive.

The depreciation: my last car, our first "luxury" car, was bought 1.5 years old for about half price (2007 Infiniti M35). When I sold it in perfect shape to get the S, I was initially expecting a bit less than half again. But no, could only drag $9,000CDN out of a broker. So I learned luxury car depreciation is absolutely a fact of life. I think you're right, the Model S depreciates for a different reason, but I'm actually kind of proud of that, given how much Tesla is turning the industry on its head, and the overall mission.

So when I force myself to realize what I've still got, it makes the what I don't have far far less important. There are still little software improvements that just show up several times a year overnight. It still is quicker, quieter, smoother, more efficient, and costs far less to fuel than just about any other car on the road. Including all the $130,000+ ICEs.

So one can wait, to get the better later. But that means losing out permanently on the joy you could have by taking the plunge, because better will never stop. And for me, each month of ownership drives up the joy factor even more. I thought I was happiest a month after purchase; to my amazement, instead it just keeps increasing.

FWIW, one man's opinion. Cheers!

Obviously this is not the place to get unbiased opinions, but it covers most of the thoughts I've had. Thanks for this.

In a way though, I'm a little worried about buying before the GigaFactory goes online. I'm sure they'll make advances in battery and range, and then I'll be left behind.

That's an emotional perception of what someone else may be able to buy. It does not affect the car you bought a single bit. You evaluate what is available now, and decide if it meets your needs/wants now. That's all you can do. If it doesn't have the range you want, wait. If it doesn't have some feature that is really important to you, wait. However, if you decide that having the car has more positive factors than the missing feature(s), and it's worth it to you to buy now, then you need to commit to being satisfied with that decision that you are getting the car that you decided to get and try to not dwell on regretful or jealous feelings about whatever comes along later. That's the way to enjoy any big purchase decision.

My current car is a 2015 A3...so I know I am going to take a hit on it. But it has fun stuff like 4G hotspot and other gadget-y nerd stuff. That's a huge draw for me and Teslas. In a way though, I'm a little worried about buying before the GigaFactory goes online. I'm sure they'll make advances in battery and range, and then I'll be left behind.

Getting a new cell phone every 12-18 months is one thing, but not as easy to do with cars.....
The advantage of a Tesla is that you can always pay a premium and switch battery packs. I guarantee you that by 2018 or even earlier you will be able to buy an upgraded pack for the Model S. It might even come out before the Model 3 begins production. I look at it this way: the gigafactory will need to ramp up production just like the car factory. So the initial batteries will have a higher cost and selling improved battery packs to Model S and Model X owners that want an upgrade will be cost effective and a smart business move. The only thing you can't upgrade on a Tesla is some hardware features. Over the air updates will always be happening....

The advantage of a Tesla is that you can always pay a premium and switch battery packs. I guarantee you that by 2018 or even earlier you will be able to buy an upgraded pack for the Model S. It might even come out before the Model 3 begins production. I look at it this way: the gigafactory will need to ramp up production just like the car factory. So the initial batteries will have a higher cost and selling improved battery packs to Model S and Model X owners that want an upgrade will be cost effective and a smart business move. The only thing you can't upgrade on a Tesla is some hardware features. Over the air updates will always be happening....

I am actually in a great spot as fara as making my decision. I bought my current car last June, and I'm only at 13K miles. So I'm still under warranty and all that. It's not like I'm duct taping things together, hoping my trade-in will hold up.

With that being said, I'm watching and waiting. Maybe the price of battery packs comes down. Maybe if TMC has healthy revenue streams from their home battery sales, the Model X, and the Model III, the price of the Model S comes down.

The next 18 months or so are going to be very interesting for those waiting to make their move, like me.

I don't know, man, this is just my guess, but it seems likely to me that each Tesla model will gain features, range and capability over time, but not come down in price. Kind of the Apple approach. We have one model now, 2 including Roadster, and soon a 3rd. Perhaps in 5 years there will be 5-7 (R, S, X, 3, City, pick-up, etc.). Each will launch at a price that reflects then-current costs and what the market will bear, so there will be a portfolio of price points and feature bundles. Layered over that is the need for Tesla to start generating profitability once the sharp growth phase slows and Tesla matures into a major company. Otoh, they do so many things differently maybe they won't do it this way either.