Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get bored of your Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S

smoothoperator

I have had my Roadster Sport for about a month now and I am starting to get bored of it. When I first got it, it had a gee whiz factor, but now that I have lived with it on a daily basis it really does not excite me, like some of the other sports cars that I own.

I have also noticed that whenever I drive it for more than an hour I get really tired for some reason, I am not sure why this is. I don't think I will sell it, but I am considering parking it for a while and maybe the "gee whiz' factor will come back. Maybe I should have gotten a different color than mundane silver? Anyone else feel the same way?

I own a few different cars and one month on I find I have done 90% of my miles in the Tesla. Enjoying more as time goes on and starting to think about selling some of the other cars ...

While you're driving your Roadster, just remember...probably 90-95% of the folks in the other cars wish they were you...:smile:

In the immortal words of Mel Brooks..."It's good to be the king!" :biggrin::wink:

Last edited:
I think there are two issues you bring up here which might be related. Taking the second first, I do think that the Roadster takes a greater attentiveness to drive and that might be mentally or physically tiring. On longer drives, I really want to use cruse control because the accelerator petal is just too sensitive to any twitch of your foot or leg. Also without power steering, I find that I keep more arm muscles active and tensed with the Roadster. Back to getting bored, I think this may be a personality related issue. If you're a control freak, and I'm willing to bet most Roadster owners are, you love the Roadster. Again, the car is attentive to the driver, almost to a fault. For a control freak, you will love that feeling of precision and the car responding to your slightest whim. But if you're not a control freak, the car may seem like a needful thing. That the car demands your attention has a dark side; it's a taxing thing that might be placing stresses on you when you do not want to be stressed. And that can get boring or at least you may want attention from other things.

I've found that I'm going out of my way to not drive the Roadster everyday. I've only had it for six weeks and I've put 2000 miles on it. And my work commute is only 8 miles. I've been driving it a lot more than I really need to. Some of it is the excitement and desire to find places I can charge it and finding the performance and behavior envelopes of it. It's so different from other cars. Maybe I'll get bored, but for now it feels more like a narcotic drug. I want to find excuses to drive it whenever I can.

It would be interesting to have a psychological study of Roadster owners, who gets addicted, who gets bored (the number of Roadsters which are years old but only with a couple thousand miles and are up for sale seems strange to me), and who just treats it as another car.

Bored? Not one bit! This is the car I always wanted. I get this uncontrollable grin coming up to a stop light with an empty lane. I love that it doesn't have power steering, I love my '08 spartan interior - the car is my zen mobile therapy with appropriate accents of 'g' whiz.

I have also noticed that whenever I drive it for more than an hour I get really tired for some reason, I am not sure why this is.

I'm concerned about you getting tired after an hour of driving. There is quite possibly considerable amount of EMF (Electro-Magnetic Field) around the driver. I don't know how closely Tesla has monitored this aspect of using high power motors and batteries. We also do not really know at what level it starts to have an effect on the human body. But, electric power and time are major contributing factors while distance from the source deminishes the strength very quickly.

Wow a lot of interesting responses!

Little background on myself, the Tesla shares a garage with some other sports cars that I alternate daily driving. I am not by any means someone who goes through vehicles frequently. When I get in the Tesla and push the D button it feels more or less like an appliance, I just don't feel that connection I have with some of the other cars that I own. I think it may be just the bond between man and machine, and its hard to love a car that doesn't really feel or drive like one. I think its cool to be driving something that makes absolutely no noise, but anyone can get in press the D button and be off. I think EV technology makes perfect sense as a technology for commuting from point a to point b, but for the enthusiast I think EV technology falls short. Maybe my expectations were different and I was expecting a different product than what the Tesla Roadster is.

I'm concerned about you getting tired after an hour of driving. There is quite possibly considerable amount of EMF (Electro-Magnetic Field) around the driver. I don't know how closely Tesla has monitored this aspect of using high power motors and batteries. We also do not really know at what level it starts to have an effect on the human body. But, electric power and time are major contributing factors while distance from the source deminishes the strength very quickly.

Never thought about this, I just thought it was the wind noise or something about the driving dynamics of the car which made me tired.

@KlnAir4U: It's quite possible that you are responsible for the economic crisis in the world! I don't have any proof for this statement, but I am going to say it anyway...

How much you enjoy the Tesla and how tired you get whilst driving probably also depends on what else you drive and where you drive it.

My daily drive / commute to work is about 30 miles of twisty country lanes each way. Short lengths of straight road followed by 45 and 90 degree bends. I am driving probably the perfect car for the perfect roads every day - if I get bored its probably time to give up on cars and start walking.... On the other hand if my daily commute was into a city where I sit in traffic jams then I think I would get bored driving the Tesla and use my Audi A8 instead. The A8 has been described as a luxury interior with a car attached and its a nice / comfy place to sit if you are stuck in a traffic jam.

As for getting tired, again I think its depends on the car, the road and the driver. Before getting the Tesla my fun car was / is a Lotus Esprit S4s. This is a difficult car to drive as it has a small engine with a huge turbo and no electronic aids like traction control. Floor the throttle in the wet and you will spin and crash so it needs 100% concentration 100% of the time. For me 100% concentration makes me feel awake / alive but for others it could be tiring.

Coming from the Lotus, the Tesla is easier and more relaxing to drive fast. Coming from the Audi with all its electronic driving aids I can see how some people would regard it as being more tiring to drive.