Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22-inch Turbines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happened to be at the Fremont factory today and came by this:

22-inch-turbines-2015-04-19-a.png

On closer inspection, the fenders are a bit more cut back at the opening with no well liner:

22-inch-turbines-2015-04-19-b.png

22-inch-turbines-2015-04-19-d.png

22-inch-turbines-2015-04-19-c.png

Looks like it might have ballast on the roof. If so, I'm guessing it's a Model X mule.

Modern high-end SUVs tend to come with larger diameter tires than similarly-sized sedans. Is that why the wheel wells are enlarged, so larger diameter tires will fit?

Edit: the 265/35/22 tires are larger diameter than either the 245/45/19 or 245/35/21 OEM tires on the Model S.

Last edited:
The good news, if adopted is that 22 inch tires cost less than 21's. After having 21's on my Q7 for 8 years, I was about to change to 22 rims and tires. The change over was only 350 more than the 21 inch. Then the next set of 22 would have been nearly $800 cheaper. However, awaiting my Model X, so I stuck with the 21 again. I will be selling the car before I would get a return on the change over.

I recall seeing close-up pictures of those oddly arranged spokes before ... at the time I was puzzled but assumed I had never paid enough attention to the normal 21'' rims to notice they looked like that. So it turns out they ARE different rims.

so it's worth noting that the sidewall heights on these 265's are .27" wider (taller?). this means they would be less slightly less susceptible to blowouts when hitting potholes...also the section wider is wider (which is the reason it's missing the well liners in the front so they don't rub, obviously they are just testing these out for now). also in the pic it looks like they literally CUT with aluminum cutting shears the fenders to fit the tire. the diameter is much higher though, so if these tires are in the front they HAVE to have different suspension components or otherwise the tires would be hitting them.

245/35R21 (OEM) vs these 265/32R22:

tires.png

Looks like it might have ballast on the roof. If so, I'm guessing it's a Model X mule.

Modern high-end SUVs tend to come with larger diameter tires than similarly-sized sedans. Is that why the wheel wells are enlarged, so larger diameter tires will fit?

Edit: the 265/35/22 tires are larger diameter than either the 245/45/19 or 245/35/21 OEM tires on the Model S.

Didn't catch that roof assembly. Agree, this is probably an old X test mule.

that's not a ballast but instead the roof rack. it gets blended in with the building in the background making it look different but its definitely the OEM roof rack.

Look at the slab on top of the roof rack in docrice's first photo. It looks like the test car spotted early last year. Speculation is that the slab is ballast, used to simulate the higher CoG of the Model X. The larger tires and wheel wells would be consistent with Model X also.