Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Model S motor, water and coolant inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just replaced a failed engine in a Model S, this is what I found inside the inverter housing:
IMG_2363.jpg

at first I was sure this was only water that got in there thru the power cables screws cover (the o-rings were misplaced from the factory) but then I found out that its mixed with coolant. I will take the inverter apart later to see what broke

Well, it's a liquid could engine. Some will be spilled when you take it apart..

I just took the outside cover off, there should be no liquid inside

- - - Updated - - -

I assume it's a salvage part.

Its from a salvage title car, but the car was fine, it was fixed and drove 22k miles since, but there was never any damage to the rear or undercarriage

I just took the outside cover off, there should be no liquid inside

- - - Updated - - -

Its from a salvage title car, but the car was fine, it was fixed and drove 22k miles since, but there was never any damage to the rear or undercarriage

So it drove fine for 22k miles, then the car unexpectedly shut down? There's a good possibility that the motor has some type of coolant which is managed by the electronics for an optimal temperature while driving. Tesla's site states that it is a "Three phase, four pole AC induction motor with copper rotor". It also states "The liquid-cooled powertrain includes the battery and one or more motors, drive inverters and gear boxes".

I think it is part of the cooling loop and when it was taken apart that is the fall out from the said loop.

Thermal Management System for Use with an Integrated Motor Assembly - Patent application

The present invention provides an integrated drive system assembly that combines an electric motor (e.g., an AC motor), a power inverter assembly and a gearbox into a single, multi-piece enclosure. Combining these components into a single enclosure reduces weight, reduces drive system complexity, reduces system volume, simplifies assembly integration into an electric vehicle, reduces manufacturing cost, allows the flexible and lengthy electrical cables between the power inverter and the electric motor in a conventional electric vehicle to be replaced with short, low loss, rigid bus bars, and simplifies component cooling by allowing the use of a common thermal management system. The common thermal management system includes a liquid coolant loop that is thermally coupled to the electric motor, the power inverter assembly and the gearbox.

I just replaced a failed engine in a Model S, this is what I found inside the inverter housing:

at first I was sure this was only water that got in there thru the power cables screws cover (the o-rings were misplaced from the factory) but then I found out that its mixed with coolant. I will take the inverter apart later to see what broke

Back on topic, obviously this substance is just Magic smoke but in liquid form before it's been heated up.

Somebody chime in and help me with a definition. I am trying to decide if this thread has turned moronic or idiotic.

While no longer used due to now being considered offensive, the dictionary says that in psychology "moronic" was associated with an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69, whereas "idiotic" was associated with an intelligence quotient of under 25. Which category you think this thread has fallen to I will leave up to you.

Back on topic, did you figure out where the leak was? Also, out of curiosity, how tightly packaged is it when assembled? (have a picture of the guts?)

Silly me, i wanted to see more internals pics of the teardown... and I figured at 4 pages now this thread MUST contain more of those...

LOL me too, mods usually so active on this preventing a thread from having too much fluff.
If I was the owner of the forum, I would have a small prize money pool, where Mods get to vote and have certain users win this
Online Debate Team - Shirt.Woot