Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will a mountain bike with 29" wheels fit in a Model S without removing wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, first time poster. I'm seriously considering a Model S as my next purchase. I'm a pretty avid cyclist, both road and mountain. I have been unable to find an answer to my question elsewhere on the internet so hoping someone here can help me: Will a mountain bike with 29" wheels fit in the back of a model s without roving wheels? I assume this will likely entail putting the back seats down, which I'm fine with. I insist on transporting my bikes inside the auto (probably have too much invested in them), so this is an important part of my decision making. Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Without REMOVING wheels. Sorry.

Another member posted photos with their road bike with both wheels on fitting just fine.
29er should fit unless you are riding an XL. My S has the executive rear seat option(seat does not fold down) and my road fits in the bike with both wheels off (51.5cm Pinarello). I have a 29er too, but I wouldnt think of putting it in my car even if it did fit. I always have my buddies pick me up for my mountain bike rides.

I own a retail bicycle business (and until a few days ago a Model S) and transported bikes between my stores regularly with the seat folded down. I also regularly transported my own mountain bike with 27.5 wheels and 19.5" frame. I am tell you that you will need to remove the front wheel on a mountain bike unless you put it in front wheel first. Rear wheel first is definitely the better way to go.

Here's a 54cm Trek Domane 4.0 in my Model S. No issues, but you do lose the back seat. I couldn't find a way to keep just one part of the seat up.
IMG_2779.jpg

Yes, a 29er will fit without removing the wheels, unless perhaps you have an XL frame - then you might have to takeoff the front wheel. Just be careful if you have extra wide handlebars. Might have to angle it a bit to clear the rear hatch.

View attachment 79515

Now THAT is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you much. I ride a medium, so should be able to get it in there. Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses.