Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet Mode - Change PIN? (6.2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to change the valet PIN after setting it the first time. When I first tried valet mode, it asked me for a PIN, and I entered something simple. Now it no longer asks for a PIN when I turn on valet mode. How do I change the PIN?

Note that I have not forgotten the PIN. I just want to select a different one.

IIRC, one of the phone app flavors was supposed to offer that facility. I don't know whether that's a "someday says Tesla" or if any customer actually has that functionality in a working app.

IIRC, one of the phone app flavors was supposed to offer that facility. I don't know whether that's a "someday says Tesla" or if any customer actually has that functionality in a working app.

I can't find anything about it in the app on my iPhone 5s. (Version 2.3, installed on 4/7/2015.)

The one thing I haven't tried is the forgotten PIN procedure, which requires typing in my password in the car. My password is long and complicated, so I'm trying to avoid that. Besides, I haven't forgotten the PIN.

So that might work, but still, isn't there a better way? Changing the PIN should only require entering the old PIN.

- - - Updated - - -

On the valet unlock screen, you should have an option to enter your Tesla credentials (same you use for the app). This should erase the PIN and allow you to set another one.

So this is the only way? If so, I think that's a massive oversight.

Confirmed, I can enter my Tesla credentials to reset the PIN. But it's a big pain in the butt to enter my password, and I shouldn't have to, if I haven't forgotten my PIN.

- - - Updated - - -

You can unlock it via credentials. How is this a worse effect?

If your password is like mine (long, complicated, and not committed to memory), it's a hassle.

And I've noticed valet mode doesn't ask for my pin to lock anymore, only for unlocking

That's true, so the prank only works if you have not set a PIN, or you have forgotten your PIN.

Can you elaborate? I'm not getting what the issue is with this approach.

I think I sort of explained it in my previous post. My password is big hassle to enter. It's long, complicated, and not committed to memory. I first have to enter a different long and complicated password into the password manager on my phone. Then I have to transcribe my Tesla password from my phone to my car. It's just big hassle.

Why isn't the PIN sufficient for resetting the PIN?

I think I sort of explained it in my previous post. My password is big hassle to enter. It's long, complicated, and not committed to memory. I first have to enter a different long and complicated password into the password manager on my phone. Then I have to transcribe my Tesla password from my phone to my car. It's just big hassle.

I prefer it this way because if someone sees me entering my pin, they can't reset it.

My password is 17 characters with numbers and symbols. So I understand the annoyance, but I don't think it's worth the lack of security.

I prefer it this way because if someone sees me entering my pin, they can't reset it.

My password is 17 characters with numbers and symbols. So I understand the annoyance, but I don't think it's worth the lack of security.

I don't think there's much harm they can do by resetting your PIN, though. If the attacker already knows your PIN, what do they gain by resetting it, that they don't gain by simply turning off valet mode (which they can already do)? What do you lose if they reset the PIN?

My impression is that the intent is that you just remember the PIN and don't reveal it, not that you change it often. As such, the login approach was intended only for recovery in the case you've forgotten the PIN.

In short, I don't think they had your described usage pattern in mind. Definitely a good idea to pass on the suggestion to Tesla that they might want to consider supporting such a usage pattern better.

My impression is that the intent is that you just remember the PIN and don't reveal it, not that you change it often. As such, the login approach was intended only for recovery in the case you've forgotten the PIN.

In short, I don't think they had your described usage pattern in mind. Definitely a good idea to pass on the suggestion to Tesla that they might want to consider supporting such a usage pattern better.

I will definitely let them know. When I started this thread, I was sure I was missing something, but now it seems not. Thanks.

I don't understand this thread at all.

Why do you need to keep changing your pin?

I don't think there's much harm they can do by resetting your PIN, though. If the attacker already knows your PIN, what do they gain by resetting it, that they don't gain by simply turning off valet mode (which they can already do)? What do you lose if they reset the PIN?

Requiring your MyTesla credentials to change the PIN is more secure.

If the PIN is required to reset the PIN, and the valet figured out or knew your PIN, then the valet could be a jackass and reset your PIN to something else. Since you don't know that other PIN value, you wouldn't have any way to reset it yourself, and you'd be stuck in Valet mode--not having the PIN to reset your PIN.

I don't understand this thread at all.

Why do you need to keep changing your pin?

What I would like to do is have a PIN for a short time, while my car is being valetted, and then unset it, so I don't have to remember it for long.

Requiring your MyTesla credentials to change the PIN is more secure.

If the PIN is required to reset the PIN, and the valet figured out or knew your PIN, then the valet could be a jackass and reset your PIN to something else. Since you don't know that other PIN value, you wouldn't have any way to reset it yourself, and you'd be stuck in Valet mode--not having the PIN to reset your PIN.

I am not at all suggesting that the current reset mechanism should be taken away. The PIN should be sufficient to reset, but the username/password needs to also work, for times when the PIN is forgotten/unknown.

It doesn't hurt security to allow the PIN to be used, as well.

I don't mean to be rude, but I also don't understand this thread. You remember the 4 digits. If you don't, then you enter your My Tesla password to reset it. How is this difficult? I think you may reset the password maybe 10 times (tops) in your life. I think this was by far the most elegant way of designing it. This seems to solve all of your problems...