Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sustained power consumption on P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
For TesS (P85), I think the highest sustained consumption I saw was around 1100 Wh/mi.

For Mercury (P85D), it can go a bit higher it seems (around 1300 Wh/mi.).

MercuryConsumption.png

Anybody seen higher than this sustained? Zex, EA, or Denarius perhaps? Screenshots please. :)

The screenshots, of course, show energy consumption, not power. In terms of power consumption, the continuous rating of the rear motor is 69kW. Assuming that this power is not further limited by power electronics unit, this would be the sustained power in the RWD cars. i do not have data on the front unit, but assuming that total continuous power is not limited by the battery, it would be equal to the sum of continuous power ratings of front and rear units. so it may be little over 100kW?

In order to correlate above estimate to your screenshots, one would need to divide screenshot energy consumption by the time it took to travel one mile.

In terms of power consumption, the continuous rating of the rear motor is 69kW....

In order to correlate above estimate to your screenshots, one would need to divide screenshot energy consumption by the time it took to travel one mile.
For my screenshot, the duration was approximately 23 minutes and the distance was 20 miles.

20 miles / ((23 / 60) hours) = ~52.17mph

1340 Wh/mi * 52.17 mph = 69907 Wh/h = 69.907 kW

Interesting... so that's basically equivalent to maxing out the rear motor continuously and using the front motor "a little". Of course the reality is that it's quite a bit more balanced than that, I presume.

I should have taken more screenshot to be sure of the above. I'll try to next time.

For my screenshot, the duration was approximately 23 minutes and the distance was 20 miles.

20 miles / ((23 / 60) hours) = ~52.17mph

1340 Wh/mi * 52.17 mph = 69907 Wh/h = 69.907 kW

Interesting... so that's basically equivalent to maxing out the rear motor continuously and using the front motor "a little". Of course the reality is that it's quite a bit more balanced than that, I presume.

I should have taken more screenshot to be sure of the above. I'll try to next time.

So were you driving against a big headwind? Uphill? Pulling a trailer? ???