Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYC EZ Pass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
picked up the P85D 2 1/2 weeks ago and the EZ Pass isn't working in the windshield. i know there are other posts on this topic but i wanted to be specific to NYC & NJ bridges and tolls.
has anyone had success in the windshield with a recently delivered car? my friend has a 2 yr old P85 and doesn't have an issue with the ez pass being read. is the glass different? i can always go with the license plate mounted trasnponder but wanted to hear from others first.

Official word from my DS was that the windshields on the newer cars (starting from the release of autopilot hardware) are indeed different and you need an exterior transponder. This is in Virginia but the tech should be the same. I believe I've seen some people say that they've had it work while inside, but it sounds like it's hit-or-miss.

Didn't I see people mounting the transponder inside the nosecone or something similar? So the big gorpy external transponder isn't out on your license place. Or for people who don't mount the front plate?

Official word from my DS was that the windshields on the newer cars (starting from the release of autopilot hardware) are indeed different and you need an exterior transponder. This is in Virginia but the tech should be the same. I believe I've seen some people say that they've had it work while inside, but it sounds like it's hit-or-miss.

They're different in that they have the integrated camera, but even the earliest cars had windshields that transponders can't get through (trust me!)

I have a March 2015 car and a NJ EZPass that I transferred from another car. I held it up (wasn't sure it was going to work) 4 times during a round trip on the Mass Pike. No problems. My DS said put it up to the right of the mirror, just below the black dots.

Wish they would stop it with this idiotic transponder nonsense and just track license plates. You want to sign up with EZ Pass? Register your tag number and be done with it. They are going to capture your tag number anyway so they can easily just not send tickets to people who have EZ Pass accounts and just bill their account based on the tag number.

But oh that would make too much sense and then how are they going to sell a dumb looking huge transponder?

picked up the P85D 2 1/2 weeks ago and the EZ Pass isn't working in the windshield. i know there are other posts on this topic but i wanted to be specific to NYC & NJ bridges and tolls.
has anyone had success in the windshield with a recently delivered car? my friend has a 2 yr old P85 and doesn't have an issue with the ez pass being read. is the glass different? i can always go with the license plate mounted trasnponder but wanted to hear from others first.

This is the main Model S forum so the regional forum might be more helpful. There is a search function for this site as well.

I have a S85D . NYS Thruway GREEN EZPASS (newer style small one) . I tried several different places. I have had success with directly to the right of the Autopilot camera where the black dots are. Havent mounted it permanently yet since i want to try it out on the express lanes.

It worked at the New Rochelle i95 north toll. I felt it took a little longer than normal, but it did work. Will update when i pass thru other toll lanes including express.

I have a S85D . NYS Thruway GREEN EZPASS (newer style small one) . I tried several different places. I have had success with directly to the right of the Autopilot camera where the black dots are. Havent mounted it permanently yet since i want to try it out on the express lanes.

There is a very small area there where a signal can get through. I had some success with an Ontario, Canada transponder (similar to EZ Pass) but it had to be oriented in a specific way. I think it was to align the antenna in the transponder with the small area on the glass where the signal can actually get through.

EZ Pass Ext Tag.png
+
Magneplate1.png
= :smile:

My NY EZpass works fine on a P85D at top of windshield just right of the rear view mirror/camera box over the dots at the top.

- - - Updated - - -

The DS's are simply wrong. My DS told me that on the way home from picking up the car I held up my EX pass against the windshield at the top and it worked fine. Then I installed it at the top and it works fine.

I have the same problem with a transponder that is used to get in and out of my work's parking garage. I need to pull inches from the gate, open my window and hold the transponder as far away from the car as possible to get the gate to open. I reported the issue to building management and they told me this problem only exists with Teslas. They demonstrated by taking me in a golf cart to the gate with my same transponder. The gate opened from 10 feet away.

I can confirm the new smaller style ezpass works on the FULL Stop toll booths where there is a bar on either side of the autopilot camera behind the rearview mirror. Stick on black dots all the way top.

This is where i tested a couple of times. ...Whitestone and throggs neck bridge, new Rochelle i95 & gwb lower level cash/ezpass slow toll lane ( not the 15-25mph) fast.