Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.5 Key Seems to Stick in "Ignition" Cylinder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did some searching but didn't see much. Just got my 1.5 and all of the keys seem to "stick" in the ignition cylinder when I go to remove them. I have to give a pretty good tug and it seem like it's dragging a lot in the cylinder. Is it OK to shoot a little silicon lubricant on the key?

Thanks.
-Brian

There was an issue with some of the 1.5's ignition cylinders. Mine (one of the first manufactured) got stuck to the point I eventually couldn't even start the car. A ranger came out and replaced it a few years ago which fixed the problem. He was the one who mentioned that it was a problem they saw often.
//dan.

Did some searching but didn't see much. Just got my 1.5 and all of the keys seem to "stick" in the ignition cylinder when I go to remove them. I have to give a pretty good tug and it seem like it's dragging a lot in the cylinder. Is it OK to shoot a little silicon lubricant on the key?
My 1.5 ignition and key have behaved like that since I got it last October. I have not tried to lubricate it. Let us know if you do.

Agreed that Graphite is the right lubricant. On mine (2.0), the problem wasn't so much getting the key in and out, but rather turning it. Felt very stiff and dry. Graphite helped. Still not silky smooth, but definitely better.

The sticky key is a common issue. Mine eventually got stuck and the ignition had to be replaced under warranty. Since the replacement the key behaves better but it's still not perfect. I have been reluctant to try any lubricant, even graphite as graphite tends to disperse as micron-sized beads and I was not sure where it would end up.

Just dusted the key with a bit of graphite and then wiped most it off with a rag and put it through the motions a few times. Seems a bit better. Hesitant to send a puff of graphite into the ignition NOR spraying WD-40 into the ignition! Was originally thinking of spraying the KEY with WD-40 and then putting it through the motions a few times.

Where it seems to hang up the most is upon removal when the little gray (plastic?) part pops out about 1/8" with the key.

Just dusted the key with a bit of graphite and then wiped most it off with a rag and put it through the motions a few times. Seems a bit better. Hesitant to send a puff of graphite into the ignition ...

The little tubes of puffable graphite are designed for lock use. I've used them on all my cars for years, with no effects other than what is intended. All car locks are fundamentally a mechanical lock connected to electric switches, and the Roadster is no different than other cars. You're probably doing more damage to the lock by rubbing metal against metal without a lubricant.

WD40 is not a good idea, as noted by others, as it is a very poor lubricant. Not much different than, say, kerosene is.