Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do we STILL have a huge hole in PA and NY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't believe I still can't (easily) get to Rochester. We either go up to Binghamton via 476 and 81 and then follow 17/86 to 15, or, more recently, take 476 to 80 then up 15.

This is a HUGE hole! I've been hearing for over a year there would something to cover Binghamton, or Willamsport, or even Bath/Corning.

Yet the Jersey turnpike is getting two more superchargers?

This is about 50,000 square miles without an SC :wink:

Map.jpg

I agree completely. With so many college and universities in upstate NY (Cornell, SU, Univ Roch, St Lawrence, Hamilton, Colgate, Clarkson, Ithaca, let alone all the SUNY schools), as well as scattered through PA (I could insert a similar list here...if I was from PA!)....and with many of those students (and their parents) driving from NYC to Philadelphia corridor, it really is hard to believe that there are not any superchargers in this region. Connecting the I81 corridor is key. Connecting the I80 corridor is key. And I76. I have no evidence, but I suspect PA as a state (or perhaps some of the municipalities?) have been dragging their feet on approvals. Either way LETS ALL HOPE that PA gets some SC's soon!

I-80 and I-81 definitely need done and maybe also the PA Turnpike. Also, need to be able to travel from NYC/Boston via Albany to Toronto/Montreal.

Still this hole isn't as crazy as the one in the middle of Missouri (preventing all of the middle of of the USA from being complete), Slidell Louisiana (missing link from Texas to points east), Greenville South Carolina (missing link from New England / Mid-Atlantic to southeast and Texas), Knoxville TN (Missing link from Florida to Chicago and the entire Mid-West).

I-80 and I-81 definitely need done and maybe also the PA Turnpike. Also, need to be able to travel from NYC/Boston via Albany to Toronto/Montreal.

Still this hole isn't as crazy as the one in the middle of Missouri (preventing all of the middle of of the USA from being complete), Slidell Louisiana (missing link from Texas to points east), Greenville South Carolina (missing link from New England / Mid-Atlantic to southeast and Texas), Knoxville TN (Missing link from Florida to Chicago and the entire Mid-West).

Iowa is likewise sparse.

Pittsburgh chiming in here-- sales locally are definitely affected.

The hole has been a HUGE annoyance of mine. It fundamentally killed my first order and the promise of its elimination was a compelling factor for our eventual purchase 6 months later. The fact that we are now a YEAR after THAT and NOTHING has changed is intensely frustrating.

I get that permitting and processes can be time consuming but I've gotten to the point where-- when prospective owners ask-- I tell them straight up: What you see on the map is what there is. Sure, you can use Plugshare/Chademo to bridge the gap in places, but there is no APPARENT solution coming from Tesla-- and don't let anyone tell you otherwise until you see a Supercharger planted in the ground.

Even Harrisburg was described as "any day now" back when we placed our first order. And yet. Nothing.

It is, without a doubt, my biggest disappointment.... okay... my ONLY disappointment, but still.

Find some farmhouse somewhere outside of pesky jurisdictions, plant a windmill or solar panel to bypass the power companies and get us a freaking Supercharger already.

If only it was that easy...

Agreed on the giant hole. I just made the same complaint yesterday or the day before in the main Supercharger thread. At least some of the hole is going to be filled if the 2015 Supercharger roll-out map comes to fruition. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I think you mean when the 2013 supercharger map comes to fruition.

Very good! Tesla's Supercharger map is often aspirational rather than rational. On the other hand, Tesla often surprises by placing a Supercharger where nobody expected it. Let's hope that happens here. Does anyone have a sense of why it has been such a challenge? I know there were some issues with Whitehall (I think).

The PA turnpike authority is probably preventing them from putting them at PA rest stops, but that doesn't stop them from doing it a few hundred feet off the highway.

My guess would be that they had a location lined up (ceritnly true for the Allentown/Whitehall location, but I'd guess it was true for the Harrisburg one too) and it fell through. That means its gotta go back to square one of scouting a location, starting negotiations, getting permits, all that stuff. The team is obviously very busy and its probably just fallen off of their priority list.

Were the OP to have taken a look at the supercharge.info map of North America prior to posting, he or she might have realized that complaining about that teensy-weensy pinprick s/he termed a "hole" just might incur the derision of an awful lot of the rest of the country.

Were the OP to have taken a look at the supercharge.info map of North America prior to posting, he or she might have realized that complaining about that teensy-weensy pinprick s/he termed a "hole" just might incur the derision of an awful lot of the rest of the country.

I agree. Take a look out west and most of the "holes" in the Supercharger network are vastly greater than the one in PA.

If it helps I live in Rochester and just confirmed my order.

Maybe if enough people around here buy tesla so then we will get more supercharger love. I'm not going to able to drive to Philly or Nyc on business until Binghamton and Scranton come online.

The gap is ridiculous, and even though Allentown and Harrisburg fell through, they have had plenty of time to recover, and have failed to do so. I will be forced to pass on my Model X reservation later this year, if I still can't travel north or east from Pittsburgh. Had to buy a CHAdeMO adapter just to get across the charging desert of PA, up in to Ithaca and Syracuse.