Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 650 (Dashcam) Group Buy for $310, including 32 Gig card and Power Magic Pro

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I am organizing a group buy for the Blackvue 650 Dual Channel dashcam, with 32 gig micro SD card and Power Magic Pro. The cost will be $310 per unit, provided at least five units are purchased.

The item is for sale at the following URL, for $349.99:
DR650GW-HD | 2 Channel 32GB Dash Camera by Blackvue

I did not come up with the idea for this group buy, and take no credit for it. The credit for the idea should go to BG121, who started this thread:Dashcam Install Group buy

I have no affiliation with Blackvue (Pittasoft) or Rear View Safety, the company we will be buying the Blackvue dashcams from. I went to Rear View Safety after reading this post: Anyone have a dual channel dashcam installed anywhere near Boston?

This company does not offer the 16 gig or 64 gig options, either of which may have been preferable, and was not open to ordering either version just for us. (With the 64 gig option we would not need to purchase a separate 64 gig card if we want to use the maximum card size Pittasoft says the unit can use, and with a 16 gig card we'd be paying as little as possible and could buy a 64 gig card separately, having spent even less.)

I think the $310 price is a fantastic price. Even at $349.99, the price is an excellent price for the options included.

If you want to be part of this group buy, please respond below, and I will get the details to you as soon as we have enough people to make it work. The process will probably be that we all call one person at Rear View Camera on the same day, at about the same time, so that they see they really have at least five orders before selling the units to us at the discounted price.

Based on posts in the original thread, there are already five people who say they want the unit. I have written to the other four people, directing them to this thread.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks! the price seems like a decent discount. I will probably order 2 myself (one DR650GW-HD, and one DR750LW-2CH) Hopefully I can get a similar discount on the DR750.

I'm not sure you should expect a similar or even any discount on the 750, as that's not part of the group buy. But naturally when you are ordering the 650, see what they will do for you. You never know.

As for the price being decent, the same package at The Dashcam Store right now would be $424.97.

Buy the New BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Dual Lens 1080p WiFi GPS Dash Cam

Thanks!

Last edited:
For $310, count me in too. I'm assuming they'll ship anywhere, i.e. it isn't limited to residents of a certain city/region.

From the looks of the website, it looks like they ship anywhere.

We did not discuss shipping cost, but there is a USPS Priority Mail option on their site for under $6. (Edit: That was under $6 to my zip code. it might be a couple of dollars more, depending on distance, I imagine.) There are more expensive options too, of course.

Great price, but why the Power Magic Pro? With a Model S, if you draw down the 12V battery, the DC-to-DC converter kicks in, so no worries about running the 12V flat. The PMP is for ICE vehicles so that the 12V keeps enough charge to be able to start the car. Me, I have had a Blackvue 550 dual cam for about 18 months connected to always on 12V (in my headliner) with absolutely no issues. Maybe the OP can go back and re-price the deal without the PMP and see what we can get. Also, FIWI, you are going to want to get the 64Gb microSD card, so what does that add to the package cost?

Great price, but why the Power Magic Pro? With a Model S, if you draw down the 12V battery, the DC-to-DC converter kicks in, so no worries about running the 12V flat. The PMP is for ICE vehicles so that the 12V keeps enough charge to be able to start the car. Me, I have had a Blackvue 550 dual cam for about 18 months connected to always on 12V (in my headliner) with absolutely no issues. Maybe the OP can go back and re-price the deal without the PMP and see what we can get. Also, FIWI, you are going to want to get the 64Gb microSD card, so what does that add to the package cost?

Im down for one as well minus the PMP

I understand that many people install the Blackvue in the Model S without the Power Magic Pro, but many people install with it as well. There are pros and cons to doing it both ways. One major pro to using the Power Magic Pro is simplifying the installation. Another would be the ability to turn the unit off, without having to pull the power cord from the camera, if you want to use parking mode, but don't want to use parking mode when parked in your garage.

I will check, when I speak to the rep again, if there would be a discount for not taking the Power Magic Pro, but if you search that company's site you'll see that they seem to sell the unit with the Power Magic Pro only. Their price is so good that even if you're not going to use the Power Magic Pro, I don't think you'll find a better price.

As for the 64 Gig card, I was pretty clear in saying that I recognized most people would prefer that, and that I couldn't get this company to sell us the version that included it, or the 16 gig version. Also there are reports of 128 Meg cards working. (See the thread referenced in the opening post.) Some may want to go that route. Memory cards can be purchased easily in hundreds of places, so rather than complicate this group buy I chose to leave people on their own to deal with obtaining larger memory cards if they so desire.

They're selling the DR650 at Massdrop for $300 ending today!

That's $10 less, includes a 16 gig card instead of a 32 gig card, and doesn't include the Power Magic Pro. I'm also wondering if they are considered an authorized reseller or not, and whether or not it's the same version, or one of the versions the poster I referenced in the original post warned about. Finally they are giving an estimated ship date of May 1. I believe Rear View Safety will be shipping when we order.

Last edited:
64GB cards do not work in Blackvue dashcams without 'special' formatting. I tried on in my 500 and kept getting 'check SD card' audio promt. See amazon link for details.

I don't know what "see Amazon link for details" means.

You have a 500, and we're talking about getting a 650, which has specs that say 64 gig cards work.

Here is a post from a user (the one referenced in my opening post) that has a 128 gig card working, and that links to reviews of the best 64 gig cards to use:

I have the BlackVue 650. It's pretty good. (Here's one of the few authorized dealers in the US: Search results for: 'blackvue' Be careful of buying from anywhere else like amazon or ebay, it may void your warranty)

Upgrading the storage for it is easy and super helpful (I found a compatible 128 GB microSD which now stores more than 24 hours of 30fps 1080p footage at a time. Here is some helpful research: 64GB Micro SD cards for Blackvue DR650GW-2CH,DR600GW and DR750LW-CH (Page 1) / The Best 64GB Micro SD for Blackvue DR650GW-2CH,DR600GW and DR750LW-CH Dashcams / Blackvue UK Forum )

• Helpful
Reactions: Bill r
That's $10 less, includes a 16 gig card instead of a 32 gig card, and doesn't include the Power Magic Pro. I'm also wondering if they are considered an authorized reseller or not, and whether or not it's the same version, or one of the versions the poster I referenced in the original post warned about. Finally they are giving an estimated ship date of May 1. I believe Rear View Safety will be shipping when we order.

Good point. I didn't see the ship date. I'm in for this group buy then! :)

It looks like we easily have more than the five purchases the rep required, so I'll plan to give him a call tomorrow (Friday) to work out the details and ask about the possibility of a "No Power Magic Pro" option, and hopefully will then be able to post his number and extension so people can start calling and taking advantage of the group buy pricing right away. I don't know how long he'll leave the pricing open, so please be prepared to monitor this thread for details tomorrow, and please be prepared to call tomorrow to place your order. I'd hope he'd be able to accept orders for at least a few days, but he may not be able to or want to, for simplicity's sake.

Stay tuned.

I tried posting the link but it said it needed moderators approval??

From Amazon review of the 650-
Update #1: I was able to install a 64GB SanDisk Extreme Micro SDXC Memory card. However, using the SD Card Formatter program as described in my original review was futile because on both Mac and Windows, it formatted the microSD card using with exFAT type (because SDXC certification requires exFAT type for sizes over 32GB) which the dashcam did not support (only FAT32 type is supported by the dash cam; if you try plugging in a microSD w/ exFAT type, it'll repeatedly say 'Please check SD card' when powered on). I didn't find a workaround on Mac, but Windows refused to format the microSD card as FAT32 type; Google searching a program called GUIFormat by Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd helped solve this problem as it was able to format the microSD card as FAT32 type. Simply download and run the program, select the correct drive letter corresponding to your microSD card, uncheck 'Quick Format', and click the 'Start' button. If you get errors basically saying the drive is still in use and you're confident the drive letter corresponds to your microSD card, then you probably have Windows Explorer open and you must close it before continuing. After the format completes, simply follow the steps like you would for upgrading the firmware.

You have a 500, and we're talking about getting a 650, which has specs that say 64 gig cards work.

Here is a post from a user (the one referenced in my opening post) that has a 128 gig card working, and that links to reviews of the best 64 gig cards to use:

- - - Updated - - -

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bUQ1CmJ8jw

@ 2:27 - requires special formatting to work. Otherwise you'll get the same issue as I had "check SD card'. Have not tried this myself but had no luck with two different 64GB cards formatted on a mac.

BTW - My 500 has worked flawlessly for 3 years, very happy with the quality.