Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi Releases Details On Gas Extended Version Of Q7 e-tron PHEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Specs:

• 2.0 four-cylinder petrol engine 185 kW (252 hp) of power and 370 Nm (272.9 lb-ft) of torque
  • eight-speed tiptronic automatic transmission
  • disk-shaped electric motor 94 kW and 350 Nm (258.1 lb-ft) of torque integrated into the transmission
  • total system power 270 kW (367 hp) and 700 Nm (516.3 lb-ft) of system torque
  • 0 to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in 5.9 seconds
  • top speed 220 km/h 137 mph)
  • 17.3 kWh lithium-ion battery pack
  • all-electric range 53 kilometers (32.9 mi)
  • consuming just 2.5 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers (94.1 US mpg) – method specified in China for plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEV)

Specs:

• 2.0 four-cylinder petrol engine 185 kW (252 hp) of power and 370 Nm (272.9 lb-ft) of torque
  • eight-speed tiptronic automatic transmission
  • disk-shaped electric motor 94 kW and 350 Nm (258.1 lb-ft) of torque integrated into the transmission
  • total system power 270 kW (367 hp) and 700 Nm (516.3 lb-ft) of system torque
  • 0 to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in 5.9 seconds
  • top speed 220 km/h 137 mph)
  • 17.3 kWh lithium-ion battery pack
  • all-electric range 53 kilometers (32.9 mi)
  • consuming just 2.5 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers (94.1 US mpg) – method specified in China for plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEV)

I think this part is important
"28.3 – 41.3 US mpg"

Although better than a current Q7 (19-28 mpg) it really isn't a massive advantage when compared to the complexity of the overall drive system. Keeping a normal audi running more than a four or five years past warranty is an expensive proposition (scheduled maintenance can run into the thousands of dollars depending on service interval), I wouldn't even want to imagine what this would be like.

- - - Updated - - -

and it's likely going to be heavier and have less cargo room than the normal Q7. and cost more.

I'm going to pick nits and split hairs now.
When the the thing has an 8 speed automatic transmission, and the electric motor is less than 40% of the hp of the ICE and integrated into the transmission - I don't think it is a "gas extended" anything, it is a hybrid.
Dogma police!

I'm going to pick nits and split hairs now.
When the the thing has an 8 speed automatic transmission, and the electric motor is less than 40% of the hp of the ICE and integrated into the transmission - I don't think it is a "gas extended" anything, it is a hybrid.
Dogma police!
More generally, it's often argued here that there is no such thing as a gas extended anything period.
But yes, with a 94 kW electric motor vs. 270 kW total system power, I think all can agree this is a plug-in hybrid pure and simple.

I think this part is important
"28.3 – 41.3 US mpg"

Although better than a current Q7 (19-28 mpg) it really isn't a massive advantage when compared to the complexity of the overall drive system. Keeping a normal audi running more than a four or five years past warranty is an expensive proposition (scheduled maintenance can run into the thousands of dollars depending on service interval), I wouldn't even want to imagine what this would be like.

- - - Updated - - -

and it's likely going to be heavier and have less cargo room than the normal Q7. and cost more.

Actually except for the Diesel version (which has quite a bit less power than the hybrid), the normal Q7 gets 16-22 mpg.

The Q7 e-tron has a larger battery and a more powerful electric motor than the Volvo XC90 T8 or the BMW x5 40e. Based on that it's my favourite electricified SUV out there (except for the Model X of course). Will be interesting to see how price and availability compares between the two.